1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best College Towns You've Visited

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by expendable, Aug 12, 2006.

1. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

Big surprise.
    Homer.

2. peixeiro

peixeiro Guest

My favorites:

Troy, Ala. - it's still got a country, out-of-the-way feel to it even though it's less than an hour from Montgomery. There's not too much of a party scene there, and it still has a lot of the small southern town atmosphere that I love.

Nashville - not a "true" college town, but it's cool to drive down Belmont Boulevard from Lipscomb to Belmont (they're only about a mile apart). Plus with Vanderbilt rather close, there's a nice section of the city that you can escape from downtown.

Others I also like: Jacksonville, Ala.; Murfreesboro, Tenn. (my brother used to live there)

And yes, I used to cover a school in a large metropolitan area that played schools in small southern towns.
    I grew up in suburban Atlanta, so I have an affinity for small southern towns that still maintain what the South is all about.

And Athens is overrated (but I guess that's because I live in Atlanta).

3. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

No love for Baton Rouge?

My list:

Baton Rouge
    Athens
    Oxford
    Auburn
    Tuscaloosa
    Gainesville

4. Upper Tupper

Upper Tupper Member

And Hamilton, N.Y., the home of Colgate University (Hamilton College is in Clinton, N.Y. Figure that one out), and Oswego, N.Y.  Got hammered in Hamilton at the Old Stone Jug and wasted at Broadwell's in Oswego at 16 years of age, drinkin' on a fake ID. And at the Penalty Box in Potsdam ...

Ithaca, but I'm not adding Canton (NY)

5. Bill Horton

Bill Horton Active Member

Nope, not kidding about Columbia, Mo. Loved going to school there. Loved living there after school. Still love going back.

6. tyler durden 71351

tyler durden 71351 Active Member

I love Baton Rouge, but it doesn't make my list. The bars shut down at 2 a.m., they're overdeveloping the area by campus, a couple of the good bars are gone (The Bayou and The Bengal), the music scene sort of sucks (when I was in school, Public Enemy, No Doubt, Blind Melon, the Breeders, Tori Amos and Dave Matthews all played at the Varsity -- now the club gets lame cover bands), there's really only one non-chain bookstore and non-chain record store (goodbye Paradise Records). I'm not crapping on the town --- it's a beautiful campus with some amazing eye candy, the tailgating scene is wild, Saturday night in Tiger Stadium is awesome and you've got Louie's Cafe and The Chimes -- but it ain't Austin or Boulder or Oxford.

7. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I think the campus/tailgate/stadium scene still pushes it over the top.

8. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Canadian division: Halifax,

An incredible party town to begin with, it's also the home of Dalhousie and St. Mary's. As a former co-worker - and St. Mary's grad - told me, he went to a party and found a school there.

9. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Radford ... where the girls fuck with impugnity and the STDs flow like water in a babbling brook.

10. ogre

ogre Member

Two things. One I don't have any kids yet. It was a hypothetical thing. Second, I agree the bars are what makes Tempe great for partying.

And Buck, "The Library" was exactly the place I was thinking about. Good gawd. For those who haven't been there, all the super hot waitresses are dressed in school girl outfits: thigh high skirts, dress shirt tied under their racks and long stockings.

11. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

someone is on crack (well, i guess because they live in atlanta, that's to be expected)

jesus, atlanta wishes it were 1/2 as good as athens. atlanta is one big fuckin' suburban sprawl

athens, athens is god's perfect creation

i miss every single day i'm away from that place :'(

12. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

Stillwater, OK (Oklahoma State)
    Columbia, MO (Mizzou)
    Lawrence, KS (Kansas)
    Corvallis, OR (Oregon State)
    Warrensburg, MO (Central Missouri State)

Draft saved Draft deleted