1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best College Towns You've Visited

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by expendable, Aug 12, 2006.

1. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Oh, yes. Lynchburg, Va., where Liberty's baseball scorekeeper tried to save my soul over the dinner table. ;)

2. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

Kirksville baby!! Woooooo!

3. spinning27

spinning27 New Member

Boulder, Colo.
    Oxford, Miss.
    Athens, Ga.
    Austin, Texas
    Ann Arbor, Mich.

4. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Madison

Ann Arbor

Missoula

5. WazzuGrad00

WazzuGrad00 Guest

Eugene, Ore.
    Moscow, Idaho
    Bellingham, Wash.
    Pullman, Wash. (Probably on no one else's list, but I spent five years there, so it holds a special place)

6. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

Gainesville, Athens, Chapel Hill, Charlottesville ...

7. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

8. pressboxer

pressboxer Active Member

College Station, Texas -- You've got to like a place that got its name because of the train station out by the college. And even with all the Aggies, it's hard to beat a strip like Texas Avenue on a football weekend (Cow Hop, Dixie Chicken, et al).

College Park, Md. -- It may be overwhelmed by the sprawl from Washington, D.C., but I had a great time on my one visit there. And if I remember correctly, the football stadium is smack in the middle of campus.

Las Cruces, N.M. -- It's not Albuquerque or El Paso (which may be a good thing), and there's all the Spanish colonial stuff for the history buffs. If you're ever there, be sure to swing by Old Mesilla.

Abilene, Texas -- OK, this one is mostly because I grew up in the area and still have a lot of relatives around there. But it's kind of neat having three church colleges -- Abilene Christian (Church of Christ), Hardin-Simmons (Southern Baptist) and McMurry (Methodist) -- within a few minutes of each other. If nothing else, you can find a thelogical discussion with very little trouble.

9. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

WORST college town I've visited:

Greenville, N.C.

10. Ledbetter

Ledbetter Active Member

Hard to top that list.

11. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

My three favorites:

Madison
    Champaign
    East Lansing

Least favorite: West Lafayette. Who laid out this town, anyway?

12. DyePack

DyePack New Member

My favorite part of the dumbassery that is the West Lafayette highway system: So you're driving west on Ind. 26, and there are like 56 signs to get to East Ind. 26, but one or none showing what lane you should be in to stay on west 26.

Draft saved Draft deleted