1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best college run (post-UCLA era)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Freelance Hack, Apr 3, 2007.

?

What school has had the best run in college basketball since 1975?

1. Indiana (1974/75-1975/76)

35.3%
  2. Duke (1987/88-1991/92)

47.1%
  3. Kentucky (1995/96-1997/98)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Arkansas (1993/94-1994/95)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Florida (2005/06-2006/07)

17.6%
  1. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Let's talk perspective here. Where does this Florida team rank in the past 30 years?

Obviously, UCLA is in a class by itself, so let's remove them from the discussion. I've listed four other schools I believe have been as strong as the Gators are now.

Indiana -- Most people know IU went undefeated in 75-76, but the only loss the year before came against Kentucky in the Elite Eight

Duke -- Five straight Final Fours (including two straight titles) is hard to ignore

Kentucky -- If not for Miles Simon, the Cats would have won three straight NCAA titles

Arkansas -- Probably the weakest of the four contenders to Florida, but the Hogs still made back-to-back trips to the finals

2. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Hated to do it, but I voted for Duke, despite that 103-73 whopping by UNLV. I always felt that Duke would find a way to make the Final Four back then. You rarely ever say that about teams now.

3. John

John Well-Known Member

I have to give credit to Duke for all those Final Four appearances. Those were hellacious teams.

4. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

I'd swap UNLV from 1987-1991 with Arkansas.

5. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

And I'd swap Louisville 1980-1983 for UNLV, but both teams had hiccups in their runs.

6. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Tark made Final Four appearances in 1987 and again with a completely different team in 1990 and 1991. PLus UNLV was second to North Carolina in total wins from 1980-1989. Arkansas was ranked ninth in total wins for 1990-1989 and Louisville is 13th for the decade of the 80s.

7. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

I think I would have to put the Gators behind Duke, but their postseason run is only second to UCLA now. This is the era of Conference and NCAA tournaments, but going undefeated in those for two straights seasons is impressive.

Quick question, how many ACC tournaments did the Blue Devils win in that five year span?

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Indiana...

9. Grohl

Grohl Guest

Much as I hate Duke, I voted for the Blue Devils.

How about throwing the Ewing-led Georgetown teams into the mix? One title, two other trips to the finals. I think Michigan State, in the earlier part of this decade, might also deserve a mention.

10. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Duke.

GB-Hack, the Devils won the ACC Tournament in both '88 and '92, obviously taking the national title following the latter tourney crown. In '91, Chapel Hill wiped Duke off the map in the ACC tourney final, making their run and their busting Nevada-Las Vegas all the more interesting.

11. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

1989-90 and 1990-91 UNLV went 69-6, made two Final Fours and won a national title by 30 points over Duke, who was about to go back-to-back.

That's my vote. Although, interesting enough, Kansas went 69-6 in 1996-97 and 1997-98 and never made it to the Elite Eight.

12. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

No. Outside of a couple of quality tournament wins, did Vegas ever beat anyone of consequence? I mean, the Big West?

The NCAA tried to grease the skids to let them win that tourney in '91, after they had enough poop to drown the Shark, and couldn't get it done.

Draft saved Draft deleted