1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best College RB Combo

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by qtlaw, Jan 31, 2019.

1. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I looked it up. Syracuse had Brown carry the ball 158 times. They threw 51 passes in 9 games and a variety of other backs carried the ball 200 times. The next two leading rushers had 71 and 67 carries.

2. John B. Foster

John B. Foster Well-Known Member

Walter Payton and whoever was playing with him that day...

3. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

The SMU Pony Express was also a professional football team, too.

4. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    that's great but i like my version better

X-Hack likes this.
  5. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Payton played with fellow Hall of Famer Robert Brazile at Jackson State. They both went in the top 6 in the draft ... FROM JACKSON STATE.

John B. Foster likes this.
  6. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

That's some pretty good scouting. I wonder if people went to see Payton and then came across Brazile, or vice versa.

7. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

HOFer Jackie Slater wants to know why you forgot him.

8. mateen

mateen Well-Known Member

Remarkably, there were four players from HCBUs drafted in the first round in 1975: Payton, Brazile, Gary "Big Hands" Johnson, and Hollywood Henderson. Since four years earlier is really when southern schools started to integrate their football teams (the famous Sam Cunningham-Bear Bryant USC-Alabama game was in 1970), they would have been in the last wave of guys who didn't play at bigger schools only because they weren't allowed to.

maumann likes this.
  9. Steak Snabler

He was a year younger and drafted in the third round, but yeah, he was on that team too.

cyclingwriter2 likes this.
  10. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

I know. Was just messing with you. I remember as a kid reading back of Topps card and noticing all three of them at Jackson State. Also, they went 7-3 with that talent

11. Steak Snabler

The Steelers always get credited for the way they scouted HBCUs in the early 1970s (mainly due to Bill Nunn), but the Kansas City Chiefs were doing it years before. Their Super Bowl IV (1969 season) championship team had nearly a dozen starters/rotation players from HBCUs:

FB Robert Holmes (Southern)
    WR Frank Pitts (Southern)
    WR Gloster Richardson (Jackson State)
    WR Otis Taylor (Prairie View A&M)
    WR Noland Smith (Tennessee State)
    DE Buck Buchanan (Grambling)
    LB Willie Lanier (Morgan State)
    CB Jim Marsalis (Tennessee State)
    CB Emmitt Thomas (Bishop)
    SAF Jim Kearney (Prairie View A&M)
    KR Willie Mitchell (Tennessee State)

Small Town Guy likes this.
  12. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

And you just know I've gotta use this as a chance to plug the genius of John Gagliardi, whose 1963 Johnnies beat Prairie View for the national title, a Prairie View team with Kearney and Taylor, plus Ken Houston, and 5 others drafted in AFL or NFL.

Steak Snabler likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted