1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best college QB you ever saw

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Nov 28, 2011.

1. ejhayes737

ejhayes737 Member

Excuse me, but who are you? And since when my does choice of words on a message board dictate how I write professionally? I get that you've been in the business for x amount of years, but that doesn't give you the right to speak down to someone less seasoned than you. And if you really are concerned about my choice of words, PM me about it rather than talk down to me publicly. It only makes you look arrogant.

I'm here to form relationships and learn from those who are already doing what I hope to. Attitudes like yours are what keep people away.

2. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

If you don't want to be talked down to, adapt, dude. You aren't "we."

This. Holieway was sick. And J.C. Watts and Rex Kern were pretty damn good before him, too.

I'd still rather watch a guy run the option with the confidence to be able to make trail pitches 5-7 yards past the line of scrimmage than to watch a guy throw 45 passes in a pro-style offense.

3. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Pro-style- Chuck Long
    Option- Tommie Frazier
    Spread/Run & Shoot- Andre Ware

Guys I never saw in person but thought looked good on TV:

Dan Marino, Peyton Manning, Drew Brees, Jack Trudeau, Mark Hermann, Jamelle Holiway, Darien Hagen, Tony Rice, Major Harris, Michael Vick, Ricky Foggie, Antwaan Randle-El

Loved me some option back in the day.

4. ejhayes737

ejhayes737 Member

I can see if I used "we" in an article. I don't see the big deal.

5. beanpole

beanpole Member

When you use "we" in talking about the team you look like a looser fanboi, Skippy. Calm down.

6. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Yeah, he was pretty good. Never saw him in person but remember watching him on TV in the playoffs.

7. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

The Major was a huge raw talent. He used to throw passes from his own 40 to the far end zone in pregame ... from his knees.

8. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

If he's not covering the team, it doesn't really matter. Again, the alumni marketing is all about "Be a (Mascot) for life!" School is part of you, forever.

However, he should pick a side. Only the alma mater gets to be "we."

For what it's worth, IJAG is one of the more respected posters here, with a resume and career that are quite impressive. A straight shooter, even if I don't always (often? :)) agree with her.

On the other hand, jr/shotglass is definitely one of the people whose views you can just ignore.

9. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

In person, it's Ben Roethlisberger. Against MAC defenses it was like watching Jesus vs. mortals in a water-walking competition.

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Something I don't say too often... :D

Good idea for a thread, Dick...

11. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

if he doesnt get injured in the Fiesta Bowl, West Virginia probably has a National Title to its credit.

12. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

If it's only guys we saw live in person, for me it be would Jamelle Holieway (1987 Orange Bowl against Arkansas, Spencer Tillman had the game of his life) and Steve Walsh the next year against Oklahoma.

Canuckistani division: Chris Flynn of Saint Mary's.

Draft saved Draft deleted