1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best college QB you ever saw

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Nov 28, 2011.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

My vote goes for Carson Palmer. In the game against Notre Dame where he basically locked up the Heisman, the ball was just exploding out of his hand in a way you don't frequently see out of college quarterbacks.

Michael Vick would probably run second, but obviously in a different way. Like a lot of people, I didn't know how his game would translate to the NFL. I still don't.
  2. derwood

derwood Active Member

Pro style: Testaverde.
    Option: Crouch.
    Spread: Newton.
  3. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Peyton Manning, Tim Tebow or Michael Vick. Saw them all in person, though Vick only once.

But I maintain the best throwing arm I ever saw belonged to JaMarcus Russell.
  4. Dick Whitman

For sheer distance, I agree. Only Jay Cutler, off the top of my head, compares. I thought Palmer threw more impressive rockets in the intermediate range, though.
  5. ejhayes737

ejhayes737 Member

John Brantley...
  6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Pro style: Testaverde or Manning
    Option: Tommie Frazier, Kordell Stewart
    Spread: Tebow or Newton
  7. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

Ron Powlus.
  8. Dick Whitman

I thought Testaverde was sooooooooo bad in the Fiesta Bowl (and the bowl the year before, too, if I'm not mistaken) that it somehow taints my opinion of him. Turned out to be a harbinger, I think.
  9. Dick Whitman

I didn't know you knew about the Internet, Beano.
  10. McNuggetsMan

McNuggetsMan Member

Eric Crouch, but I didn't get to cover a lot of great QBs. I saw one game with Brees but he was terrible because idiot Joe Tiller kept calling deep passes over the middle against a two-deep zone.

After Crouch, Jason Campbell probably had the best game I covered in person -- the 2004 SEC Championship.
  11. beanpole

beanpole Member

If you think about the talent (or lack of talent) surrounding them, it was huge fun to watch Chad Pennington at Marshall. Steve McNair at Alcorn State was playing a completely different game, too.
  12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Frazier is the most dominant college QB I've ever seen. Granted, he was surrounded by crazy talent, maybe the best ever assembled, but that was one guy who I didn't think anybody could stop.
Draft saved Draft deleted