1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best coffee you can buy in in a supermarket

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by 93Devil, Apr 17, 2008.

1. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I'm sure this has been debated here before, but I wanted to give it another go around.

Here are the rules:

1. You have to be able to buy it in a grocery store. (Kroger, Food Lion, Giant, Costco, Wal Mart (shudder), etc...) No crap that people cannot easily buy or costs $20 a pound.

2. No decaf.

3. No flavored crap.

I want to try some different stuff, so hopefully some good suggestions will come off of this thread.

---

Whole bean
    Dunkin' Donuts - My favorite coffee. Bright and fresh, just the way I like it.

Eight O'Clock - Very solid whole bean coffee. Probably my #2 choice.

Pre ground cheaper coffee
    Maxwell House Original - Solid taste to start the day. It does not come across too strong. It's very hard to find a coffee that is smooth and not bitter. Thanks Starbucks!!!

2. cougargirl

cougargirl Active Member

Green Mountain breakfast blend is probably the best of their products. Whole bean or ground.

3. Angola!

Angola! Guest

seattle's best french roast. affordable and damn good.

4. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Canuckistan division: President's Choice Great Canadian. I don't buy Tims in the store because it'll never taste the same at home as it does from my local outlet.

5. Msaint

Msaint Member

I'm a Lavazza man myself. Like me some eye-talian espresso. $6.99 at my local Shaw's.

6. JR

JR Active Member

Any of the PC coffees are pretty good.

We buy tins of Tims for the house but I don't think I have more than a dozen double-doubles a year.

I know that sounds heretical but I don't drink coffee in the car and we have free coffee at the office.

Sobey's has some pretty good coffee selections.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Cafe Du Monde brand.

You can probably only find it in supermarkets in the South, but I actually order the stuff it's so good...

8. They just started selling Dunkin' Donuts ground coffee at Sam's Club. 40 ounces for 15 bucks. I may never sleep again.

9. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Eight O'Clock rocks Chez Cranberry.

10. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Active Member

Agree on the 8 o'clock whole bean. I get the Colombian roast (yeah, I am brown-bagging it :D ).

Hawaiian Blend Classic Whole Bean is another brand at Sam's that's really good:

[​IMG]

Haven't tried the Marques de Paiva brands, but I plan to.

11. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I am so glad no one has mentioned Starbucks yet.

12. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Ukrop's, a local grocery chain, has excellent coffee. Agree, too, on Dunkin Donuts but I get that from Dunkin Donuts and not a grocery store.

Draft saved Draft deleted