1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best City in America?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by daemon, Aug 8, 2006.

1. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I've been told there's a good side of town. But we never found it during our "alternative spring break" work trip my freshman year of college. Granted we were working in the hood, but even when we tried to find the good part, we never could. The best we came up with was an Applebees out by a declining mall on the edge of town. Otherwise all we found was ghetto, the world's greatest density of drive-through liquor barns, a supermarket whose parking lot was bisected by a freeway on-ramp (no shit, little old ladies were hauling ass with full buggies in front of merging traffic) and more ghetto. And for entertainment, the TV newscast proclaiming the city's 35th homicide of the year. In mid-March.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I dunno. As alternative spring breaks go, sounds like a winner. You got drive-through liquor, easy access to pot and an Applebee's. And you're complaining?

3. RAMBO

RAMBO Member

My top two citeis in America are New York and Los Angles, and coming up soon Miami.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Way to go out on a limb.

5. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Where's Los Angles? I mean I've heard of Los Angeles, but never Los Angles. Is that in one of them square states?

6. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

Hope I don't catch citeis like cockdian...

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Key West is a great place to hang out for a few days. Wouldn't want to live there, though. Too isolated for me.

8. zimbabwe

zimbabwe Active Member

Seattle on an 87-degree summer day (yeah, there's rain there) beats any city in the country by a laughable margin, in terms of pure physical beauty.

I'm glad Seattle isn't more well-known.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Favorite cities:

Cleveland
    Chicago
    Sarasota
    Euclid
    San Antonio
    Chagrin Falls
    Las Vegas

10. My top 5

SF
    NY
    New Orleans
    Philly
    Seattle

I was lucky enough to live in both NY and SF. When I left NY I honestly thought I would never find something as great, but after living in SF for over 3 years, I changed my mind. In my opinion, there is no better place to live than the American west (I also spent some time in AZ), and SF is easily the crown jewel. One day I will return to the states and I honestly hope that I'm lucky enough to go back to SF (if i can afford to buy a house there that is)....

11. Duane Postum

Duane Postum Member

Orangey! Chagrin Falls! Yes.

12. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

You can't beat Microville, but if you're into the small city as a great place to raise a family instead of the major metros, ...

I've heard great things about Madison. I've been there once, seemed OK.

Fort Collins is nice but growing way too fast, like the whole Front Range.

Have heard high marks for Spokane, very livable.

Bend is super expensive, getting very crowded and overbuilt, and traffic (for a 70k city) is often gridlocked. No college sports whatsover, major drawback.

People who live in Rochester and Buffalo often have very nice things to say about their cities, which are often the butt of national jokes. Yes, it snows and taxes are high, but real estate is very affordable and there's plenty of major/minor/college sports.

Charlottesville, Fredericksburg  and Harrisonburg, Va., always rank high on "best places" lists. Too humid for me.

East Bay (Lafayette, Walnut Creek, Orinda/Moraga are supposed to be wonderful. So are Davis and San Luis Obispo, which is prohibitively expensive.

Boise is sunny but brown and dusty. Poky is growing to the south along I-15.

MIssoula is nice, except for the winter inversions. Bozeman is a  hidden jewels being discovered. Butte, not so much.

And Logan, Utah, of course.

Just one man's opinion.

Draft saved Draft deleted