1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best City in America?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by daemon, Aug 8, 2006.

1. daemon

daemon Well-Known Member

Reading the other thread got me thinking about a debate that occasionally springs up at the bar.

What's the best city in America? And why?

Best can also mean your favorite, but we won't get specific with the question.

2. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Chicago.

3. John

John Well-Known Member

New York and San Francisco are my top two

Other favorites:
    Boulder
    Athens
    Nashville
    Sante Fe
    Charleston
    Chicago
    Charlottesville
    Austin
    Moab

4. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

This thread will not end well.

That being said:
    Boston
    Austin
    New Haven

5. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Boston
    Chicago
    Minneapolis

In no particular order.

6. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Based on the last city on your list, I can only assume you thought it was "worst" city in America? Seriously, New Haven is a shithole.

7. It's a loaded question, and I'm not sure there's any one right answer. (What is a "city"? 100,000 or more? Only more than half a million? etc.)

At the high end of the equation, Chicago is pretty tough to top. Cosmopolitan, world-class city with Midwestern friendliness and sensibilities. Plus the downtown/lakefront is stunning. San Diego is up there, too.

Among smaller cities, Rochester, Minn., is solid. Excellent medical care (duh), but affordable and with plenty to do for the outdoorsy-types. Plus MSP isn't far away, if you get the hankering for a metro area.

Medium-sized cities? This is where it gets tougher. In no particular order, Grand Rapids, Cincinnati, Cleveland, Omaha, Pittsburgh, Milwaukee, Birmingham, Denver all get high marks, either from me or from what I've heard.

8. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Lyman,

I'd have thought Gary, Ind. would be high on your list.

9. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Well, since you're so wrong in your assumption, it's probably a good thing I prefaced my post with "This thread will not end well." Because I can think of a lot of other cities which would fit your description better, but some people from the Keystone State might get really freaking mad at me.

10. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Austin
    Seattle
    Spokane
    Portland
    Boise
    Indianapolis
    Cleveland

(OK, so I live in the Northwest, dammit!)

11. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

San Antonio
    Chicago
    Anywhere on the Gulf Coast

12. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

sc --I'd take Missoula over Cleveland. Although, I guess I don't know if it qualifies as a "city".

Draft saved Draft deleted