1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best Cities OUTSIDE America

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Double Down, Aug 11, 2006.

1. BigDog

BigDog Active Member

Ding! Nothing is even close to Florence as the No. 1 selection.
    2. Amsterdam.
    3. Miami.

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Loved Amsterdam.

But I almost got run over by bicyclists about 100 times. They own the roads and sidewalks there.

3. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I once dated a girl who was an au pair from Bern, Switzerland.
    She was very nice, so maybe Bern is nice, too.

4. WazzuGrad00

WazzuGrad00 Guest

Whistler and Vancouver, B.C. and London top my list. But they're pretty much my entire list.

5. Ledbetter

Ledbetter Active Member

It's not much of a city, but Portofino, Italy is damn near heaven. You need some serious cash to hang out there, but I've never seen a more beautiful place.

[​IMG]

6. Munich
    Barcelona
    Quebec
    Innsbruck

7. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Does Camden count?

8. carrie

carrie Active Member

Paris
    Santorini
    Mykonos

We're honeymooning in Europe, and I'm extremely excited.
    Paris, Barcelona, Venice, Rome, Naples, Valleta, Palma and Villefranche (Monte Carlos, Nice, Eze).

Hopefully, my top three list will change. :D

9. Wow. Georgetown.

I can understand the Cayman Islands in general if you're a scuba diver, which I am. But ONLY visit if you're a scuba diver.

What on land does Georgetown offer as far as a city? Stores that are closed completely on Sunday and basically stay open from 9-5 M-F and 8-12 on Saturday? A very poor selection of goods, and things that are unbelievably overpriced compared to the US? Bars that close at midnight on Saturday EVEN ON NEW YEAR'S EVE??

At least, since Hurricane Ivan, there's basically very few cultural events and museums that are open. And many people say the storm ruined the beauty of the island on land by dammaging the foliage.

Still, I'd say Georgetown doesn't even qualify as far as being a city. It's a very small and pretty backwards town.

You must be a scuba diver, Little Man's Daddy.

10. pressboxer

pressboxer Active Member

Is visiting one's offshore bank accounts acceptable?

11. Actually, it's my understanding that there's not that much to visit. Of the infamous 600 banks in "downtown" Georgetown, most of them are just either post-office boxes or little plaques on the wall. Apparently, the key is just having an address in the Cayman Islands. Seriously, it's not like there's the equivalent of 600 Chase offices or branch offices.

12. Monday Morning Sportswriter

Monday Morning Sportswriter Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted