1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best Cities OUTSIDE America

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Double Down, Aug 11, 2006.

1. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I think it was the stench of what was in the water.

Edinburgh is pretty cool too. Asked a bartender there if the pubs closed at 11 p.m. like they did in England and he said "No. We're a nation of drinkers."

2. I'll tell you what, when they light that sucker up at night it sure felt like it.

3. pallister

pallister Guest

Given that I don't fly, it's unlikely I'll ever leave this country. Although, I'd realy like to visit Ireland. Maybe an extended boat ride is in order.

4. SnoopyBoy

SnoopyBoy Member

Tehran
    Baghdad
    Beirut

But not in that order

5. DocTalk

DocTalk Active Member

Small town life for me:

Queenstown
    Antwerp
    Tofino
    Lillehamer

6. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

No Moscow, either.

7. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Idaho?

8. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Venice is OK -- was there on my honeymoon.  Stayed in a suite overlooking the Grand Canal right next to the Piazza San Marco.

When you get off of the beaten path, it's not bad, but not too many people live there and it is one big tourist trap, especially before sundown while all of the cruise traffic is there.  Having said that, I bought a cool Inter Milan jersey at the Niketown.  Also, while my wife was shopping at the Prada store, I went to the clearance section and picked up two pair of shoes for less than $30 each.  She was not amused.

9. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Sirs, Madames,

Back in Prague tomorrow. There last weekend. Bratislava is under-rated. Prosim, Prague is 1. Spent seven glorious days there a couple of years back.

Oslo was good, but Stockholm was amazing. The people are ridiculously friendly, if Boy/Gil Scoutish. Helsinki -- if you enjoy seeing people black-out blind drunk before lunch.

Moscow a trifle scary. Two guys in the crew got mugged and beaten up a block from our hotel/Red Square.

Liverpool was cool. I spent whole summers in London as a kid in the 60s, don't like what's happened to it.

I really didn't like Paris and I think Dublin (gulp) is getting a little spoiled. Most improved: Belfast. Most expensive: Geneva, Paris isn't even close.

YHS, etc

10. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Mr Friend O',

That wouldn't be related to a certain problem a certain guy we both know had with another guy during the world juniors there in 2001 would it?

Inquring minds, etc.

11. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Here's a vote for Toronto.

12. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Why don't you fly Pallister? Serious question.

Draft saved Draft deleted