1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best Christmas pop/rock songs/covers

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Simon_Cowbell, Dec 22, 2007.

1. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

The Trans Siberian Orchestra can usually be found on the road at this time of year. Never seen them but my brother has and he said they kicked major ass.

2. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

That's probably them. thanks.
    From what I heard in that one tune, they can really play. I'm more into the music part, less into the lyrics part.

3. Cansportschick

Cansportschick Active Member

Huggy, I am with you on most of this list except the Keith Richards cover of Run Run Rudolph.

4. nothing like the Temptations' version of "Silent Night."

NOTHING.

5. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Really? Every version of that song done after Keith's just rips him off. Yeah, he ripped off Chuck Berry but he did that better than anyone else.

6. bigbadeagle

bigbadeagle Member

The Kinks' "Father Christmas."
    Other than that, I despise all things Christmas, other than it being the supposed birthday of Jesus Christ.

7. DougDascenzo

DougDascenzo Member

"Last Christmas" by Wham!
    "The Christmas Song" by Dave Matthews
    "God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen" by Barenaked Ladies and Sarah McLaughlin

8. Christmas In Dixie -- Alabama.

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Grandma Got Run Over By a Reindeer -- Less Than Jake
    Baby It's Cold Outside -- Jimmy Smith and Wes Montgomery (juazz keyboard instrumental)
    The Christmas Song -- Stevie Wonder and India Arie
    Must Be Santa -- Brave Combo
    The War is Over -- The Corrs
    Jingle Bells -- BArenaked Ladies
    Winter Wonderland -- Jason Mraz

10. DougDascenzo

DougDascenzo Member

Oh, I almost forgot:

"Oh Holy Night" performed on NBC's "Studio 60." It's in my iTunes under "The Tapatias Players" but I'm sure that's wrong. Either way, great version.

11. BYH

BYH Active Member

So many to choose from and only five picks.

If I ever attended a Darlene Love show and saw her perform "Baby Please Come Home," you'd probably need a mop to pick up what would be left of me. That song always gives me goosebumps and sometimes a lump in the throat. Can't explain it. It just moves me like no other song. BTW, the rerun of her 2006 appearance on Letterman is on Xmas night. Better a rerun than nothing at all.

I'm with Simon, except I'll say that just about any version of Happy Xmas (War Is Over) gets me. I thought the Melissa Etheridge version from '94 or so was excellent. And even Kip Winger nailed it (hi Sportschick! :D).

I remember driving around town Christmas Eve 1997 trying to find The Trans-Siberian Orchestra CD. I finally found it at Blockbuster, of all places. Christmas Eve 12/24 Sarajevo is still an amazing song.

Even before he transfixed me with his prancing, "Christmas Is The Time To Say I Love You" was always a favorite. No, it's not as meaningful as Happy Xmas, but it doesn't have to be. It's just a happy song. Gay, even. :D

And 2000 Miles.

Shit, that's five already.

I forgot Christmas Wrapping, both The Waitresses version and the hilarious Jewish-themed Save Ferris cover.

12. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Ramones - Merry Christmas, I don't wanna fight tonight!

Draft saved Draft deleted