1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best children's shows

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Dick Whitman, Aug 19, 2010.

1. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

No DVR.. I'm still in the dark ages of using the VCR and I don't tape the shows.
    But I too recognized every episode this season from title alone.

Previous seasons of Sesame Street were superior in that they spread the story out throughtout the episode.
    This season is for short-attention span theater -- 10 minutes to tell the story of the episode, the word on the street, the letter of the day, Abby's Flying Fairy School (one of the 4-5 episodes they repeat throughout the season), the number of the day, Murray and his Lamb go to school (or the animated Bert & Ernie's Great Adventures), the number of the day, one other transition clip, Elmo's World. Show over.

2. WolvEagle

WolvEagle Well-Known Member

"Barney"

NOT!!!!!!!!!

3. blacktitleist

blacktitleist Member

Curious George, Super Why, Backyardigans, and Blue's Clues still get two thumbs up in my household (ages 2 and 5)

Sesame Street is still great too.

Disney has Little Einsteins, though I'm not sure it gets the play it used to. Excellent show.

I'll also throw out Olivia. My oldest IS Olivia. Great show that has really triggered her imagination. She also loves Dinosaur Train and tells anyone who will listen that she is going to be a paleontologist. Or an animator, because she is addicted to "Nightmare Before Christmas". Loves her some Jack Skellington.

Scooby Doo is still a huge favorite as well.

We are a Sponge Bob-free zone.

4. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

What is cool is watching the old episodes where the Elmo puppet is just a random puppet and not "Elmo."

Lil 93 was watching Follow that Bird and started saying "Elmo, Elmo, Elmo." over and over atthe end, and sure enough, the Elmo doll was filling in a window ledge in the last scene way away from the action.

5. Double J

Double J Active Member

Oh, this, for sure. I love this show.

The episode where they reunited the band Love Handel is freaking epic.

"Like a ninja of love, rappelling down from above, you snuck your way right into my heart....." :D

6. Mr. Sluggo

Mr. Sluggo Active Member

These shows were well appreciated by my toddlers as well.
    They loved The Wiggles most of all though. My wife & I too.

7. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

No love for "The Wiggles?"

Boy I kind of miss the innocent shows, Barney, Clifford the Big Red Dog, Dora the Explorer, that one about Dragons, the Asian cat one, basically all the PBS shows were great.

With the boys 9 and 11 now, have to fight the crap that's out there on Cartoon Network.

8. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

The Backyardigans is brilliant. "Chichen Itza Pizza, we deliver."

9. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Yo Gabba Gabba is the bomb. My 5 year old refers to it as "Dad's favorite show."

10. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

I forget to mention how much we love Dora. It is easily my daughter's favorite show.

I was coming back from Vegas with a buddy of mine and the Flight Attendant was trying to get his attention to tell him to shove his backpack under the seat.

I sang the "Backpack, Backpack" jingle and a half a dozen people around me started laughing including the Flight Attendant.

It could be that the bar for comedy was low because everyone was hung over but I prefer to think that it shows the awesomeness of Dora.

11. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

By the way, absolute rock bottom is "Dragon Tales." Shrill, horrid characters, hideously drawn, and so over-the-top politically correct it involves a dragon in a wheelchair. Hate it, hate it, hate it.

12. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Capt. Noah and His Magical Ark?
    Wee Willie Webber?
    Where's Part-Timer and other Delaware Valley kids?

Draft saved Draft deleted