1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best children's shows

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Dick Whitman, Aug 19, 2010.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

My vote: "Yo Gabba Gabba."

I don't know if anyone else watches this show with their toddlers, but it is absolutely delightful.

I want to limit how much my children watch TV, as we all do, as they get a little older. But my little one loves this show and so do I.

Just curious about if any other parents are in love with the show. We just watched the one with Brobee's birthday, and I absolutely loved the pictures they showed of him when he was a little baby, er, whatever he is.

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Re: Yo Gabba Gabba

Yo Gabba No

We stick with Sesame Street, Peanuts and Curious George.

After watching Yo on my own, I could not figure out what exactly my daughter would be gaining from watching this. I know Peanuts gives her nothing, but George is great for problem solving (plus she laughs out loud at it) and Sesame is just the gold standard of children's programming.

Lil 93 already counts to 10 (in her own way, mind you, but she is counting), has number recognition under five and knows a handful of colors. A lot of that is from watching Sesame.

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

My niece watches this when she's over. I want to put an icepick through my temple.

4. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

5. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Keep in mind that mine's not even talking yet. Very young. He loves the music, though.

6. 93Devil

Lil 93 started watching Sesame at about nine months. Elmo's voice drew her in, and at 2 1/2 she will watch start to finish without getting up.

7. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

It's somewhat fun and I like most of the songs and dances. Plus, any show which gives the Diabolical Biz Markie a job can't be all that bad. My son was obsessed by the show from about 20-23 months and we had a Yo Gabba Gabba themed birthday party. Not super educational, but not a total waste of time.

My list of the best kids shows (5 yrs old and under):
    1) Sesame Street
    2) Curious George
    3) Super Why
    4) Backyardagins
    5) Wonder Pets
    6) Calliou

Worst:
    1) Wow Wow Wubsy
    2) Max and Ruby

8. 93Devil

Webster, how old is your child?

Curious George (or Oh-ah-ah as my daughter calls it) amazes me with how good it is.

9. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

I have three little ones. What slappy said.

10. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

My son just turned 2 and my daughter just turned 5. He loves "the monkey show" and asks to watch it as soon as he gets up.

11. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Yo Gabba Gabba is alright. My 20-month old (21 months in 3 days) likes it more than I do.

He & I both love Jack's Big Music Show (which is one that my son loves to dance to and sort of sing-a-long to the opening of).

However my son loves watching Sesame Street -- the (bad) new episodes from the current season on PBS and the (great) older season ones on Sprout.

Through watching Sesame Street he can already sing his ABCs and count (in his own way) up to 20 -- we have video of the ABCs, but not the counting.

12. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Caillou is an abomination. Our house was a Caillou-free zone. All that kid does is WHINE!

Huggy Jr didn't mind Max and Ruby although I always wondered where their parents were. Backyardigans was cool too.

Draft saved Draft deleted