1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best chain restaurant

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by 93Devil, Apr 4, 2008.

1. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Best meal I ever had was at Morton's in Nashville after the NHL Draft. Went to Ruth's Chris last October with the wife for our 10th anniversary and it was shit. Complete fucking ripoff.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Three great calls... Add Shula's to the list.

3. Mizzougrad96

Cheesecake Factory is the best chain restaurant that people can afford to go to regularly.

4. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Ruth's Chris & Morton's is kinda another level.....more for the expense account crowd.

I've also never understood going out for dinner to a steakhouse.

If you have a halfway decent barbecue that you can crank up to 600 or 700F and you splurge on a decent piece of meat--which a butcher can cut for you,--you can have a better steak at home.

And you get to have a few beers or glasses of wine while you're cookin'

5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Nice call. There isn't one in my state, but I always go to the one at the Mirage in Vegas when I'm out there. Can't beat the location overlooking the sports book.

My wife and I will often go to Cheesecake Factory after a good meal somewhere else. Always split a Tiramisu. But I'm somewhat leery of a full meal there, in part because the menu is enormous. They can't possibly do that many things well, can they?

6. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

My wife loves fondue, so The Meltin Pot is her favorite.

It is pricey. I think we dropped $100 when we went.

Her are the pros.

1. Your meal lasts like 2-3 hours. You are getting a long time to eat. That offshoots dropping $50 in 45 minutes at some places.
    2. The desert is insane. One of the best I have ever had.
    3. You are in your own booth, you do not see other couples. This is nice.
    4. The food is decent, and yes, you do get a lot in your time there.
    5. And this is the most important reason, it makes Momma happy. Because if Momma ain't happy, then nobody is happy.

7. Mizzougrad96

I've dined at Ruth's Chris about 50 times in about 10 different cities and never once has the meal been anything short of spectacular.

8. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

From my experience, some of the big steakhouses can be very hit or miss if you're in a small party and don't run up a huge alcohol tab. My wife doesn't drink and I'm not much for wine, so we can do a steak joint for under $150 easily, maybe even $100, and that doesn't inspire the servers much when the eight-person table they've got is on their third bottle of wine and cruising toward a huge check. That's b.s., of course, but that's reality.

I've also done the likes of Ruth's Chris for media functions with 50-plus people and it's been flawless. They'll never screw those up.

9. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Given that you're paying your firstborn, it oughta be.

10. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I can't think of any restaurant--other than a 2 or 3 star Michelin or a neighbourhood bistro---that's worth going to 50 times, particularly an overpriced steak house.

11. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

I'm a fan of Texas Roadhouse.

Reasonably priced steaks and shrimp, great salads served in cold bowls and warm bread with cinnamon butter. Can eat a shitload of good food for less than $20.

Young waitresses in tight jeans help, too. Although having them give a big "yeehaw!" to a birthday boy every 5 minutes can get annoying.

12. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

I like Olive Garden, and no, that is not a joke.

Draft saved Draft deleted