1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best cell phone to use?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Phoenix, Dec 1, 2008.

1. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

This month's Consumer Reports breaks down the companies and the services.

2. reformedhack

reformedhack Well-Known Member

From my POV, the issue you should be concerned about is the service, not the hardware. Even the baddest, best phone is going to be worthless if you cannot get a signal. And some carriers promise total market coverage, but there are dead spots in every community or metro area. Figure that out first, then decide on the equipment.

I currently use a Motorola MotoQ with Sprint, and it seems to work just fine. It has a mini-keyboard and a large screen -- which is perfect if you have to post bulletins or blog on the fly -- and it allows you to plug into your laptop and use it like a modem.

That said, I prefer Verizon's service. Better signal, better coverage in my area. I switched only because my company, which is based in another city, got a corporate deal through Sprint and elected to pick up the tab (plus free, new phones) for its executives.

And, as 93Devil said, check Consumer Reports. That publication is like the Bible in my opinion ... it should be on everyone's bookshelf.

3. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

I have the BlackBerry Curve with AT&T. It's relatively cheap, good for typing, good for the Internet, etc. However, I didn't like the browser that came with it (mostly because it kept trying to get me to do the GPS every time I opened it, which got annoying) but I downloaded OperaMini off of my computer and had it sent to my Curve and it's been working ever since. Opera is a much better browser than what it comes equipped with.

4. longgone

longgone Member

Anybody have any experience with the Sprint Instinct yet? At first glance, seems to be a way to sort of get the iPhone without going ATT.

5. boxand1

boxand1 New Member

I've got the BlackBerry 8800 and it works fine. The Internet isn't sensational, but if you had to blog something, you can do it. I've done it before.

6. bp6316

bp6316 Member

With each carrier basically having their own cool superphone now, the others are right, it comes down to service. For instance, in our town, the AT&T Edge network is fantastic, the 3G not so much. That hurts Sprint and Verizon too. Ask the people that spend more time at the places and areas you go most how their signal strength is for Internet connection. Or, as I've advised many to do around here, just go to a Starbucks and ask folks in there how they like their connection. Since there are so many Starbucks, you can get a good feel for how different areas are. If signal isn't an issue for you because all of them are pretty good (ha, like there is really a place like that!) I'd recommend the iPhone. I love mine.

7. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

I'm what they call a 'Treonaut.'

For typing and internet access, nothing beats it.

After two years on my Treo, I picked up a friend's iPhone, and the slowness of the internet, coupled with the difficulty of typing, annoyed the piss out of me. Fuckabuncha iPhone.

The problem right now with the Treo (made by Palm, and by the way, if you get a Treo, you need the Palm operating system, NOT the Windows operating system) is that Palm is phasing out the 700 series of the Treo. Their "push" item right now is a phone called the Centro-- don't bother.

There is a hot rumor (semi-confirmed by an internet buddy of mine whose spouse works for Palm ;D) that there will be a new device on the market come Feb-March. It's very hush hush, but word is it's going to be the Treo 800p. The device will have fast internet access, plus a camera on the phone that is comparable to a digital camera.

Rumored price? $600.

Way way way too rich for me.

So this month I'm hoping to upgrade to the best "obsolete" Treo available... the 755 perhaps?... because I think my 700p has been an amazing phone for 2 years.

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

To echo Luggie, the Palm Centro stinks.

9. RossLT

RossLT Guest

LG Voyager from Verizon. I love my phone.

10. Tucsondriver

Tucsondriver Member

Hey Phoenix, I'm a Sprint person and I've got the Palm 800w which is an awesome phone but hard to use (runs on Windows Mobile). I'd stay away from phones that have touchscreen keyboard. They're a mess if you're trying to type anything more than a text message. A good candidate for you I believe is the Palm Centro (Verizon's got it). It's got a very cramped keyboard but is compatible with an external keyboard that will give you the closest thing to a pocket laptop. Check compatibility if you get any other phone. Good luck!

http://www.palm.com/us/support/accessories/btwirelesskeyboard.html

Draft saved Draft deleted