1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best cell phone to use?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Phoenix, Dec 1, 2008.

1. Phoenix

Phoenix Guest

I'm old, so i need help from younger, allegedly hipper scribes out there on cell phones. I have the most basic type of verizon phone available, an LG or whatever. I want to be able to access the Internet, send e-mails and occasionally blog, like on a breaking story when a laptop is not around. Is all of that possible? What sort of phone do you recommend? I have inquired about the Blackberry Storm, but $199 is kinda steep. What would get me by, in your estimation? Oh, and i'd probably be dealing with verizon.

2. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

The Storm has gotten bad reviews. I've had the Curve for a year and a half and like it a lot. The Internet kind of sucks on any phone when compared to what you can do on the iPhone.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

The iPhone is amazing.

4. Dickens Cider

Dickens Cider New Member

Yes, but AT&T sucks, so there's a tradeoff.

5. DCguy

DCguy Member

iPhone if you want a cool phone with a terrible network; Blackberry Curve if you want a almost-as-cool phone with a far better network. If you wait for the second round of Storms to come out, I'm sure the Storm will be a lot better than the first try, just like the iPhone.

One thing to consider: What networks do the people you call most have? If the majority owns Verizon, get a Blackberry. If they don't have Verizon, get the iPhone.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

That's been the biggest reason why I haven't gotten an iPhone.

I have an iPod touch, which I can use for the Internet if I can get WiFi access and it's so much nicer than using the net on most mobile phones/devices.

7. bob

bob Member

I'm old, too, but I have a Blackberry Curve. It's great for e-mail; it sucks for Internet. I have AT&T, but I don't know if that's why the Internet sucks. Otherwise, no problems with AT&T.

8. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

If you have a Verizon phone now, go with the Blackberry. If you switch companies, you might have to pay the termination fee on your current contract.
    The Curve is a nice phone.. Storm has too many glitches right now because it's still really new.

9. accguy

accguy Member

I have the Blackberry Curve. Assuming your contract has expired or you're eligible for an upgrade, it shouldn't cost you more than $100 after rebate. I saw some black Friday deals where you could get one for free.

The thing isn't the iPhone, but it is still pretty good. I like having an actual keyboard to type on as well.

10. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

I'm not having much if any trouble with the Curve with AT&T, so not sure what's wrong with me. :)

11. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Come on. Some one had to do it.

Honestly, ask someone at your paper,who is already doing this, what they are using to do what you want to do. Then they will know how to quickly answer any questions that you have down the road.

If they does not work, the kids at Best Buy seem the most honest.

I bought my step-dad a Garmin for Christmas, and guess what? It is the exact same one I have. Any question he might have, all I have to do is pick mine up and help him out.

12. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

I have sprint. Love the plan, love the network. Love my phone (HTC Touch).
    As long as you don't have to talk to customer service, you're golden. Spent nearly 7 hours on the phone with them this summer. Had they not rolled up the renewal Brinks truck, I would have left.

As far as the phone, it's pretty money. I can plug it into my comp and have internet access anywhere I have a Sprint signal. Phone itself has high speed internet. And it's smaller than the Instinct, the supposed improvement of it.

I spend 100 bucks a month (unlimited everything), never have a problem with service and have Internet access 24/7. I don't even pay for Internet at my house anymore.

Draft saved Draft deleted