1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best Buy knows a Bad Buy

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Joe Williams, Mar 16, 2008.

1. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

I prefer to read stuff in the paper in the morning. Perhaps it's because I'm in the business, I don't know.

That being said, while I received the Best Buy ad in the paper this morning, I was more crushed by the disappearance of the Circuit City circular (say that three times fast). I've been boycotting Best Buy since the purchase of a defective computer and phone in one week a couple years back.

2. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

And here I thought this thread was about their policy to no longer stock Lindsey Lohan movies.

Hmm, the day will come eventually.

I hope.

3. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Other places are doing this as well, notably Hobby Lobby and Michael's. Both used to have 40 percent off the purchase of a single item, and for that reason alone, my ex and I would get the Sunday paper. Now that both stores do the same via email, one of my big reasons for getting the Sunday paper is now gone.

Bad for the business, to be sure, but from a reader perspective, it makes a lotta sense.

4. patchs

patchs Active Member

Had both BB and CC circs in yesterday's paper.
    Sounds like they're experimenting in certain markets.

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

They are zoned in my paper. I get Best Buy and Target in my part of town because there's one about 10 miles away..

You have to go 20-25 miles for Circuit City/Staples/OfficeMax-Depot. And other than a rare occasion from one of the office's, I haven't seen one since Christmas. But friends in other parts of town get them weekly.

6. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

My Sunday duo is the national NYT with no coupons/circulars but all the news and extras, plus the local major metro that has all the coupons and circulars but almost nothing else.

7. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

God bless you for supporting our industry!

Damn few like you!

8. Metin Eniste

Metin Eniste Member

Horse buggies didn't survive automobiles like they survived the advent of bicycles.

9. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

It's NEXT week that it will be online only. Easter Sunday.

10. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Ha.

But yeah, two papers every day, totaling about $50 a month (more when my NYT new-subscriber bonus runs out :( )
    Add in the holiday grease for the carriers to keep the paper off the street, and I'm giving all I can give to the industry!

11. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Kind of curious that Hobby Lobby messes with Sunday inserts, since they're on the Chick-fil-A business model.

12. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

damn, i wish i'd have "heard" that one about four years ago. my old publisher would have wanted to punch me, but i still would have delivered that line.

Draft saved Draft deleted