1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best burger you've ever had

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JackReacher, Mar 31, 2008.

1. John

John Well-Known Member

Today is the first day I've had completely off this month and my goal tonight is to consume the best burger in town for dinner. I don't know where that is yet, but I'm gonna find it.

2. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Checkers is still around, though it's known as Rally's in a lot of areas. Sort of a Hardee's/Carl's Jr.-type arranegement.

Not sure how widespread the chain is, but the best fast-food burger in these parts is Back Yard burger. They've got a double-meat burger that you've damn-near got to detach your lower jaw cobra-style to fit in your mouth.

3. Checker's .99 cent Champ burger was the absolute best chain hamburger ever made. EVER.
    The only thing that ever came close was the now discontinued :'( Hardee's Mushroom and Swiss Burger!

4. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

http://www.fiveguys.com/

This should end the thread if you live in DC/Virginia/Maryland area.

If you take into account fries, then the thread has ended.

I'm going to assume that we are talking about burgers that don't need a waitress.

If you need a waitress, then I'm sure there are better than Five Guys.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Carl's Jr's Western Bacon Cheeseburger is my favorite fast food burger from the major chains.

Some of the lesser-known chains are really, really much better than the bigger places. I'd rather go to In N Out, Checkers, Good Times than any of the major chains.

6. EmbassyRow

EmbassyRow Active Member

I'm partial to the way my father makes burgers...but I'll give some love to The Winery in Decatur, Ill.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I can't remember the name of the place, but it was at a Philly Steakhouse. I think it was Esquire had just rated it as the best burger in the country and a few friends and I had to try it while on a road trip there.

It was Kobe beef with onion strings on it. The waiter recommended not putting ketchup or anything else on it, which was a good suggestion. The beef was perfect and it also didn't hurt that the bun was just about the most perfectly cooked bun I've ever had.

The burger wasn't cheap. I think it was about $20 and didn't come with fries or anything. One of the guys I was with ordered another one as soon as he finished the first one.

The same guy who ordered two, has since said there's a Steakhouse in Vegas that makes a better one, but I've never even come close to trying anything even half as good. Granted, I don't get to steakhouses too often and when I do, I don't usually order a burger.

8. Tiger16

Tiger16 Member

Swenson's. Akron (and now Cleveland and Canton), Ohio.

9. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Hey now. Ain't nothing wrong with a Jack's burger. I certainly prefer that to McDonalds or any other awful fast food joint. That said, even within the town limits, Jack's isn't first on my list. That belongs to Staggs.

And I can't wait to hit up a Milo's. I think the closest one to me is two hours away in Birmingham. I do buy their sweet tea by the gallon, though. Damn good stuff.

10. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Five guys is definitely the titties. Especially, when Mosley comes in and picks up the tab. (So I've heard.)

11. Notepad

Notepad Member

Has anyone else ever been to Tessaro's in Pittsburgh's Bloomfield neighborhood?

Best I have ever had

12. Corner Bistro, NYC
    Bob Dobb's, Tucson
    Conway's Red Top, Colorado Springs

Draft saved Draft deleted