1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best burger you've ever had

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JackReacher, Mar 31, 2008.

1. tommyp

tommyp Member

Hands down, All-American Burger, Massapequa, NY.

Combine the quarter pounder ($2) with large fries ($1.50; always cooked well, never soggy) and any of the establishment's shakes ($1.25), and you have yourself one All-American meal, at unbelievable prices.

2. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

There's none in the Souteast, though? I'll be in that region in a few months.

The best burger I've had was off my brother-in-law's grill at 3 a.m. during a night of drinking. That's when grease is at its finest.

But the best I've had in a restaurant was at the Hooters on the Inner Harbor in Baltimore four-plus years ago. It's called the "More-than-a-mouthful" burger, and I get it every time I go, along with the jalapeno chili cheese fried and a tall beer. My heart hates me.

3. rallen13

rallen13 Member

Don't know if they are even still in business in the U.S., but CHECKERS used to be in H-Town and had a great burger. The thing that was different about them was the very thinly sliced purple onions they used. Really enhanced the taste.

If you haven't tried the mini-burgers at CHILI'S, give tham a shot. They are a regular 8 oz. burger, quartered, and served on mini-hawaiian bread rolls with chopped onions and a shot of mayo and BBQ sauce, and served with a big stack of their deep-fried onion straws and special tangy dressing. Had my first one this weekend and will go back for more.

4. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

I'm partial to El's Drive-In in Morehead City, NC. It's a car-service only joint that serves a great chili, slaw, onion cheeseburger. The shrimp burger is pretty good too.

5. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Camillia Grill in New Orleans, although I don't think it made it back from Katrina.

And I've got to question the alleged awesomeness of the thread's author if he thinks that Jack's serves anything on a bun other than Ralston Purina rejects. Sack up and drive to a Milo's, would ya?

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Cambria Bar and Grill, Cambria Minnesota...
    When I worked in southern Minnesota, this place had a 1/2 pound burger for 2.70 -- 50 cents more if you wanted a Bambi Burger...
    Got out of there with a Bambi burger, fries, two beers and tip for 10 bucks.

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Blimpy's is still there; was profiles on Diners, Drive-ins and Dives a couple of months ago.

8. cougargirl

cougargirl Active Member

Hugo's Frog Bar, North Rush Street, Chicago.

However, there's a great Irish-Mexican place right down the street from me that makes a killer jalapeno-chili burger, and I usually put guacamole and ranch dressing on that thing. The goodness ...

9. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Not having a Red Robin in my neck of the woods, my first choice would be the ones off my grill, followed by Fuddruckers

10. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Zeke12 has it nailed: juicy lucy in the Minny suburb is out of this world.

I'm a big Five Guys fan, but Five Guys and Red Robin and In-'n-Out; they're all Division II.

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

For a chain, Red Robin is really, really good...

12. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

Arnie's Monster Burger on 14th and 'E' Street in San Bernardino, CA.

Draft saved Draft deleted