1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best burger you've ever had

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JackReacher, Mar 31, 2008.

1. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

There's a Five Guys on the same block as my office and I go there about once a month. It's not the burgers, though very good, there's an amazing food truck that stops on the corner that has better burgers. It's the fries. There are sublime.

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Peanut oil.

3. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

If you have a peanut allergy, do NOT go within 300 yards of a Five Guys. Between the oil and the shells on the counter, the place positively reeks of peanuts.

4. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

Am working with my aunt this week, and my cousin made us the best burgers I'd ever had.

All it had in it was salt, pepper, onion, garlic and some bacon (small pieces, grilled in). Propane grilled.

My God. It was so awesome. I didn't put a darn thing on it, either. Just fantastic meat.

5. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

I think the fries are Five Guys horrible. Soggy and greasy.

Put the Five Guys fries and the In N Out burger as a meal as the two most overrated fast food options.

6. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

1. That's insane.
    2. There's nothing fast-food about Five Guys. Everything is cooked to order.

7. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Everything except the meat.

But you're right. Five Guys isn't fast food. No idea why people call it that.

8. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Even the meat is. They don't have the patty on the grill until you place your order, and I found out a few months ago that they will cook your patties for longer times if you ask (because I have an asshole friend who likes burned burgers).

9. JackReacher

I've never known a Five Guys to cook your burger to order, as in medium, medium well, etc.

I've also never wished they'd leave it on the grill longer. Shorter, maybe. Definitely not longer.

10. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

They don't ask what you want, but you can make special requests. I'm not sure if they would do a burger medium-rare or rare because of health reasons. I would say the typical Five Guys burger is medium-well, which seems about right for the type of burger it is.

I prefer a thicker burger to be medium or even medium-rare if it's a good cut.

11. JackReacher

Don't get me wrong, I like Five Guys and don't have much of a problem with the way they cook the burgers. I do wish I could get it cooked medium, though.

Next time I'm there, I may ask them to take it off the grill a few minutes early. See what they say. The one I go to is rarely packed, so maybe they hook it.

Also, the WaPo did a "40 things you must eat in the DC area" kinda thing today. The slideshow crashed my computer for some reason, but the main art on the front page was of the duck fat fries from Bourbon Steak. I really need to plan a Saturday up in Georgetown.

12. JackReacher

Went into Georgetown today and had the duck fat fries at Bourbon Steak. Very good. They give you three servings, each with a different seasoning, and three dipping sauces.

No lettuce, but they were solid.

Draft saved Draft deleted