1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best Bullpen Ever??? Nasty Boys?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by qtlaw, Aug 24, 2010.

1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Regular season-wise, I'll go with the Nasties' World Series counterparts, the 1990 Oakland A's:

Dennis Eckersley: 4-2, 0.61 ERA, 48 saves.
    Todd Burns: 3-3, 2.97 ERA, 3 saves
    Gene Nelson 3-3, 1.57 ERA, 5 saves
    Rick Honeycutt: 2-2, 2.70 ERA, 7 saves
    Joe Klink: 0-0, 2.04 ERA 1 save

2. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

I'm sure it's long gone, but I had an autograph book signed by every member of that year's team.

3. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

And they had Lee Smith pitching at Double A Midland that year.

4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I can remember Dibble throwing balls into the upper deck at Atlanta when the Reds came to town. Just standing in the outfield during BP and flinging balls waaaaay up there. And one wonders why his arm blew out.

But yes, great 'pen. Piniella recognized it early and rode those boys all the way.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

So you'll take the team they swept?

6. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

98 Yanks Rivera, Nelson, Stanton, Llyod and Mendoza

7. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

This was the bullpen that came to mind for me, too.

They also featured early career Bob Wickman, rookie Ramiro Mendoza, tall Australian lefty Graeme Lloyd and an ineffective old Steve Howe.

8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I said, regular season-wise.

9. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Jays' 'pen in 1992 was pretty good with Henke as the closer, Ward as the set-up guy. They had guys like Timlin, Hentgen, Wells and Eichorn pitching out of the 'pen too.

10. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

The Mets also had Myers for a spell that year (although he wasn't yet dominant) and future longtime closer Rick Aguilera, who was mostly a starter.

11. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

Was this the first "modern" pullben where every guy had an assigned roll based on the situation? Whereas in the past, it was a little of "shit, let's bring in Joe and see how he does."

12. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Yes, according to "Men at Work" by George Will. I believe Eck was the first closer where it was expected that he would start the 9th only. Just another reason I despise LaRussa, killing the closer coming into a real fire situation. Can your closer get a strike out in the 8th with runners on 2nd and 3rd and 1 out with a one run lead?

Draft saved Draft deleted