1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best Bullpen Ever??? Nasty Boys?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by qtlaw, Aug 24, 2010.

1. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Reading the name Rob Dibble reminded me of the Reds' Nasty Boys in 1990 and since they were in the NL West I saw a lot of them. What I recall, wow. Myers, Dibble and Charlton. I saw in person Charlton strike out 8 Giants in a row near the end of a game. He had filthy stuff and he was the No. 3 guy.

'70's Yankees had Lyle and Gossage.
    A's of the 70's had Fingers and Paul Lindblad from the left side.
    '86 Mets had Orosco from the left side and McDowell from the right side.
    '96 Yankees had Rivera and then Wetteland to finish it.

I still go with the Nasty Boys.

2. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

1979 Cubs:
    Yes the team was 80-82, but they had Sutter, who won the Cy Young, and his set up men included Willie Hernandez (Cy Young and MVP in 1984), Bill Caudill, who became an all-star and a top closer for Seattle and Oakland, Donnie Moore, another all-star closer in Anaheim, and Dick Tidrow, who was 11-5 that year.

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Gossage & Lyle were only teammates for the '78 season.

I'll take Wetteland & Rivera in '96.

4. MightyMouse

MightyMouse Member

Myers, Dibble and Charlton was the best trio in my recent memory. Any one of those three had the chops (and, quite possibly the PEDs) to be a dominant closer.

5. westcoastvol

westcoastvol Active Member

Wetteland, Rivera and don't forget Jeff Nelson.

6. MightyMouse

MightyMouse Member

Nelson? You mean Mr. Slider? He was OK for a while, but he fell off dramatically once batters figured out that he couldn't (or wouldn't) throw anything else.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I'd take Wetteland and Rivera as well. But damn were the Nasty Boys fun to watch.

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

84 Tigers: Willie Hernandez won the Cy Young AND AL MVP by going 9-3 in 80 appearances with 32 saves and a 1.92 ERA; Aurelio Lopez pitched when he didn't and managed to go 12-1, 14 saves and a 2.94 ERA and Doug Bair was the long reliever...

http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/DET/1984.shtml

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

So, they underachieved?

10. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Aaron Heilman, Bob Howry, Kevin Gregg. (Ducking A_QB)

11. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Loved the Nasty Boys. Charlton actually moved to the rotation for the second half of that season. He started 16 games. Rob Dibble was just amazing for the Reds til he blew out his arm. I guess that's what he wants Strasburg to do. Just grip it and rip it til his arm falls off.

12. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

80-9
    No, they're the Cubs. 80-82 should be expected. :)

Seriously, I always though it was interesting that three of the set-up guys for Sutter became all-star closers. That's a lot of talent hanging out in the bullpen.

Draft saved Draft deleted