1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best boxing photo I have ever seen....

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Simon_Cowbell, Oct 14, 2008.

1. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Just to support the point that more difficult does not equal better, I submit the following photo by Walter Iooss Jr. as better than the top photo:

[​IMG]

Certainly much easier, being that it's a portrait, but I think it's a much more interesting, evocative and memorable photo than the one at the top.

As for your last point, it could be (and very likely is) cropped.

Don't get me wrong, it's a cool photo. I don't think it's all that unique (we see photos of guys getting their faces rearranged in boxing all the time) and it's nowhere close to one of the best of all time.

2. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Portrait is posed.... totally different animal.

But again, your love of it, I'm surmising with virtual certainty, is solely based on the subjects and your feeling for them.

3. Simon_Cowbell

For anonymous-subject portrait, I'll take this one...
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  4. bigpern23

I acknowleged the difference and used it as an example of why a more difficult photo is not necessarily better.

I'm too young to have seen Frazier or Ali box, so I have no real attachment to them outside of seeing Ali as one of the most interesting figures in sports history. I was just sticking with the boxing theme. It actually has more to do with my love of Walter Iooss Jr's photography than with Ali and Frazier, if that makes any difference.

Point is, I can think of many boxing photos that you might deem "easier" to shoot than the one at the top that are better photos. That shot wouldn't crack to my top 10.

(And I still dispute that Leifer's shot of Ali over Liston was an "easy" shot in comparison with the equipment and editing techniques used to capture the top photo.)

5. Simon_Cowbell

eas-ier.

Not easy.

6. bigpern23

:p

7. Simon_Cowbell

Let me re-correct myself.

Easier, not easy.

8. friend of the friendless