1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best boxing photo I have ever seen....

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Simon_Cowbell, Oct 14, 2008.

1. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Be pretty tough to keep that resolution blowing it up.

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

True

3. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Someone was going to get it???? If it was so easy, how come Neil Leifer was the only one to get it?

For comparison's sake, here's the iconic photo and another one. Look at these two and tell me Leifer didn't absolutely nail his shot. There's a reason his is an iconic image and none of the other photos from that fight are ever remembered. And no one will remember the Peter photo among the great sports photos of all time.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

(Interesting sidenote: Herb Scharfman, who took the above of Marciano knocking out Walcott, is seen standing between Ali's legs as he stands over Liston.)

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  4. Simon_Cowbell

Scharfman was pissed.

5. Simon_Cowbell

Dunno. Just stating the fact.

6. bigpern23

Yeah, I believe the story is that he didn't much care for Leifer (who was new to SI at the time) and asserted his territory, making Leifer go to the other side of the ring. Sucker. :)

7. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

http://www.fredericksburg.com/blogs/view?blogger_id=27&maxSize=20

Pretty good photography blog.

I wish more papers would post more pictures online in high resolution.

So many great pictures never make a paper, or are posted online in such a small resolution.

8. bigpern23

Seems to me, you're saying all the other photogs sucked. After all, they missed an easy shot that became iconic.

9. Simon_Cowbell

Well, there is a side-of-ring/field/court roulette attached to it.

But, all things held equal, and aftermath shot is much easier than the photo at top.

Or this one....

[​IMG]

10. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Sirs, Madames,

I used have a kit model of Dempsey-Firpo. (How old am I?) Based on this famous shot. Hard to imagine Dempsey got back in the ring and blasted the Bull of the Pampas out.

[​IMG]

Yup, the heavyweight champion lands in the lap of spnited.

YD&OHS, etc

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  11. bigpern23

I'll have to disagree with the one at the top, especially considering the photog probably was shooting at 30 frames per second or something ridiculous.

Dwight Clark, now that was a tough photo to get. Ali/Liston is still better, though, IMHO. As someone else mentioned, difficult does not equal better. I can see it as a tiebreaker, but wouldn't go much beyond that.

12. Simon_Cowbell

Not easy with guys moving in the ring to have the face centered up like that.

Very difficult, no matter how many shots you are firing.

Draft saved Draft deleted