1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best boxing photo I have ever seen....

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Simon_Cowbell, Oct 14, 2008.

1. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Is there an sjcomfactcheck.org?

2. Simon_Cowbell

The only reason that photo is held in such regard is because of what it stands for.

It's a simple image.

But if it was the same image of, say, Larry Holmes standing over Trevor Berbick, you would have never seen it again after it ran in the paper.

3. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

I saw a real nice slide into second base, last week.

4. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

It wasn't simple at all, Simon. Watch the actual footage.

Ali is standing over him, screaming, but he shakes his fist for less than half a second. It was anything but a reaction shot. There was some luck, certainly, but with those old slow action cameras it was a remarkable shot. The image you posted was almost certainly a digital file that was one of a series of about 40 taken in one second by one of the fastest cameras in the world.

5. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I have to agree with Simon on this one. There are so many great boxing shots like this one...

[​IMG]

but to have the framing and angle of that picture is special.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  6. Simon_Cowbell

I've seen the video many times.

Once the guy is down, every photog is shooting. Someone was going to get it.

Aftermath is easy.

Bobby Orr?

Now, you're talking turkey.

7. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I believe that was the punch that flattened Walcott and gave Marciano the title. A Marciano bio I have has a picture of the right hand he used to knock out Joe Louis, the last punch Louis took in his career. Cool pic too.

8. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

I love the shot. I wish we had more threads like this.

9. Simon_Cowbell

Superb photo.

I was hyperbolic at the thread's start. The top photo is short-list, not necessarily at the very top.

10. 93Devil

I love good photography.

Simon, your first shot is once in a lifetime. The Walcott photo has been done over and over.

Google pic that fight, and you can see how many great shots were taken.

I will also say the age of digital cameras has increased the quality of art in newspapers 100 fold. Just for the fact that you are never worried about reloading or running out of film.

11. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

There was another shot from the Klitchko (sp) fight over the weekend that made it into the San Antonio Express News middle pages of the Sports section. He's creaming the poor guy in that one, too.
    The Express teased with the shot which started this post and I, too, thought it was brilliant camera work.

12. 93Devil

I have a question.

Is the above photo cropped from a much larger photo?

Draft saved Draft deleted