1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best Bootleg

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Fenian_Bastard, Jun 24, 2006.

1. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

[​IMG]

John Elway in Super Bowl XXXII. On third down, Elway ran a bootleg to the right and easily scored on the first play of the second quarter. The score gave the Broncos their first lead, 14-7, on the way to the title.

2. funky_mountain

funky_mountain Active Member

ok, fenian, i'll keep my enthusiasm for dead shows to a minimum but anything from the dead, circa may 1977, is pretty strong.

since i have somewhere in the neighborhood of 300 live shows, here are few of my faves:
    john prine, july 13, 1978, my father's place, rosyln, n.y.
    seldom scene, march 1, 1973, lisner auditorium, DC
    willie nelson, sept. 3, 1993
    jerry garcia band, march 3, 1980, san Francisco
    the stanley brothers (ralph and carter), sept. 21, 1962, berkley, calif.
    hot rize, july 30, 1988, midsummer bluegrass festival, grass valley, calif.
    talking heads, aug. 21, forest hills tennis stadium, new york (includes a killer version of 'this must be the place')

a lot of mine are bluegrass shows, because 1) i dig the music and 2) at bluegrass festivals throughout time, bands didn't have their banjo strings in bunch because someone was taping the show.

3. spnited

spnited Active Member

Wasn't there but have a boot of that show, Jim. Also the first time he did My City of Ruins

4. There seem to be a lot of Talking Heads boots around. Caught me by surprise.

HammerP - I'm telling you, every sing Exile cut on this thing is extraordinary. There's also a performance of "Heartbreaker," which leads me to believe that the set was probably recorded in '76 or '77.
    In re: CentralI, well, goddamn, it took you guys long enough.

5. Stupid

Stupid Member

Technically, live Dead tapes aren't bootlegs since they allowed taping and had tapers' sections at their shows.

6. sportsed

sportsed Guest

There's a White Stripes in Glastonbury walking around that ain't half bad. As for PJ, someone recorded the first show of theirs I ever saw (before they released every show) and it's a treasure.

7. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

It's hip hop, but Danger Mouse's "The Grey Album" and Q-Unit's greatest hits are pretty good.

Here's a link (I've posted it before) to Q-Unit - a mix of Queen's greatest hits album and 50 Cent/G-Unit/Game songs. You can click and listen for free if you scroll down a bit.
    http://www.q-unit.net/

8. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

Stones - Brussels Affair (1973)
    Springsteen - Passaic Nights (1978)

9. Song Seven

Song Seven Member

pj 04-03-94 atlanta
    interpol 11-07-02 Rennes, France
    the cars universal amph, studio city ca, 09-05-79
    radiohead hammerstein 12-19-97

10. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

Some beauties:
    U2, Paradise, Boston, '83 (including stuff they probably haven't played since)
    Elvis Costello, Toronto, '78 (with guest shot from Nick Lowe)
    Replacements, final show, July 4, 1991 in Chicago (sloppy but fun. For the record, the final song was "Hootananny," with the roadies replacing band members on stage one by one).
    Cramps, somewhere in Switzerland, '86 (if you've ever heard Lux take apart "Lonesome Town"...)

11. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

My favorite actual bootleg is Elvis Costello "Riot Act 83," recorded in London on the tour for "Punch The Clock" when he had a horn section and backup singers (Afrodisiac, who sang backup for every British band at some point in the early 80s).

I've got a ton of live shows I've downloaded from the net, so they aren't true bootlegs.  The best may be a Joe Jackson show where he does covers of "You Can't Be Too Strong" by Graham Parker (one of my favorite songs, and JJ's cover is better than the original) and "Reelin' In The Years" by Steely Dan.

12. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Wilco, a double disk from a 2002 Portland show. The timeline chick sent it to me in exchange for a set list I had grabbed at another show.
    It had a shoutout from Tweedy to the timeline chick, so it was the bootleg she sent everyone, I guess.

Draft saved Draft deleted