1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best beers you've ever had

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by BRoth, Feb 3, 2007.

1. huntsie

huntsie Active Member

Not to threadjack, but I'm not talking brand here? What are the best beers you ever had -- the setting, who were you with, what were you talking about...all that stuff.

Me first: Best beers I ever had were with guys I grew up with. Spring and summer of first year university. If the weather was nice, we'd grab a bucket of chicken, case of beer and four or five or six of us would go up to Vanier Park in Ottawa and play football and drink beer and get all philosophical and deep and solve life's problems and talk about the women we were screwing or would like to screw...great times.

Or it might have been the bunch I had one afternoon with a buddy of mine here that I don't see much any more. Started out as a couple of beer, got to seven or eight each, we wrote a goofy song on a napkin, some of which I can still remember. We married girls who were good friends, one week apart and he was MC at my wedding and I was MC at his.

2. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Best beer I've ever had?

The next one.

3. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

Stout: Guinness, although smooth-as-silk Murphy's gets an honorable mention
    Lager: Harp, although Stella and Pilsener Urquell are world-class
    Bitter, Porter, Ale: hell I don't know, most of them are good stuff
    Bud/Miller/Coors: fuck off.
    Cheap beer: always thought Schlitz was the best out of the bottom-feeder class of shit beers that are less than $10 for a 12-pack. In Texas, Pearl in bottles used to be ridiculously cheap, and while I wouldn't get carried away and call it a good beer, it's easily more tasty than Bud/Miller/Coors horsepiss.

Best beer-drinking times: at the Albuquerque Dukes games with my Dad.

4. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

I thought I had had good beer before, then I got a Guiness from the tap in London and everything else, including Yuengling, fell to the wasteside.

5. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

I was goign to ask the same question. Finally got to a Friar Tuck today and didn't find it there either. Lil help, buckwheat.

6. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

My rookie friend, the best beer is *always* free beer.

Now I'll take a free beer, thanks. That's best.

7. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Can't help you much. It used to be ONLY available on tap, and ONLY available west of the Rockies. Now, they sell it in bottles -- and in sixers at the grocery store -- but I'm not sure how widely available it is.

8. I'll never tell

I'll never tell Active Member

9. 2underpar

2underpar Active Member

Best: Free
    Second-best: Cold

10. Unibomber

Unibomber Member

Recently had Monty Python's Holy Grail Ale and loved it.
    This delicious copper-colored brew has a hoppy finish but is quite drinkable. It is made by the Black Sheep Brewery in Yorkshire, England, and has been since 1999 to celebrate the 20th anniversary of Monty Python, it states right on the bottle that this brew is "tempered over burning witches."

11. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

12. Bullrog

Bullrog Member

Recent faves: Blue Moon and Sam Adams Cherry Wheat
    All-time fave: Red Stripe

Draft saved Draft deleted