1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best beat writer in the nation

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by JackInTheBox, Jul 1, 2006.

1. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

For someone shackled to a lifeless organization, Marc Topkin is very able and would be a much bigger name were he in another market.

And, no, don't be reediculous ...

2. Great call on McGinn and Spoon Silverstein. What a duo they have up there in Milwaukee. Must reads every week.

Others I enjoy around the NFL include Clare Farnsworth (also one of the great guys around) at the Seattle PI and the highly underrated Jim Thomas at the STL Post Dispatch.

3. HeinekenMan

HeinekenMan Active Member

John Studd from Vegetable Gardening Monthly is the best beet writer by far. That investigative story he did on pickled beets was jaw-dropping.

4. Kool-Aid

Kool-Aid Member

Two that have been named: Tipton for college hoops, Quick with the JailBlazers.

Gotta go with Orlando's Steve Elling for golf.

No one mentioning Hal McCoy?

5. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

You mean BIG John Studd?

6. you need to get laid.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

McCoy is like Michael Jordan. He was the best. He's a legend. But he's not at the top of his game anymore.

If anybody reads that and thinks I'm ripping McCoy in any way, you are a fucking idiot.

8. Kool-Aid

Kool-Aid Member

I agree. He's slowed over the years. But McCoy at 70 percent is better than 90 percent of the rest.

Sort of like "Studies have shown that 60 percent of the time, it works every time ... "

9. Scwibe

Scwibe Member

None of us could dream of covering such a beat in his condition, which, i fear, is worsening. He gets a Hall of Fame pass for his previous work healthy, and another for working the past three years. If you don't know, sit next to him at a game sometime.

Please, move on. And pray for Hal.

10. goose

goose Member

I completely agree on McGinn. The guy has details on every nuance of the game most beat writers overlook. Not sure if he studies film of every snap or how he gets things like how quick Favre released a pass, down to the tenths of a second, but he's one of the best.

11. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

This is actually an interesting thread, especially since the question doesn't limit the answers to any sport or pro/college. There isn't a right answer, but gives you a dozen names to read if you're not already reading them.

12. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

I spent some time at Reds spring training a couple of years ago and the players went to McCoy rather than the other way around. Ken Griffey Jr. came in the media room in his sliding shorts, plopped down in a chair next to Hal and they chatted away. That's an indelible image and a sign of a reporter who has gone about things the right way.

Draft saved Draft deleted