1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best Bass Players

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by boots, Jul 24, 2007.

1. WazzuGrad00

WazzuGrad00 Guest

Gene Simmons.

2. Jaco Pastorius

3. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd New Member

Glad to see the love for John Paul Jones. For bass players who not only were great on the bass, but also great assets in the studio, arranging and playing multiple instruments live, he is unsurpassed. And based on his versatility, the dude I would want in my band if I had one.

For metal, Cliff Burton really put the bass out there as an independent instrument; unfortunately it doesn't always come through on album. Each of the three Metallica records he played on had one song where he was doing something crazy; Anesthesia, Call of Ktulu and Damage, Inc. all had him turning the bass into something new. Jason was OK, and live he certainyl had presence. But his songwriting contributed little, and I guess I look for someone's overall contribution.

Also for metal, if you admire speed Tom Araya of Slayer. All four of those guys are pretty virtuosic to play that fast and stay on time.

Not completely surprised Geddy Lee hasn't been mentioned. But for a dude who is a songwriter, plays multiple instruments, has seen his style change over the years, and who puts the bass out there as a lead instrument on many songs, he is great. Not a great singer, but as a member of a band, he's excellent.

4. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

Allow me to nominate Steve Harris of Iron Maiden. I always thought he and Nicko McBrain made an excellent rhythm section.

5. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd New Member

Seriously, Steve Harris was the primary songwriter for Iron Maiden as well.

A good addition to the list.

6. PHINJ

PHINJ Active Member

Stanley Clarke.

For metal bassists, Fieldy from Korn.

7. Chef

Chef Active Member

I believe Sir Entwistle wins the award.

8. Cliff Burton
    John Entwistle
    Flea

BTW, SportsChick, love GNR, but I think even Duff would tell you he's not that good.

9. EE94

EE94 Guest

Chris Squire of Yes. Always a great counter-melody / rythm thing going. Just listen to Roundabout.

And McCartney was a fantastic bass player.

10. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

But could he play the tuba like bassist Gary Talent did for Bruce Springsteen in the early 70s? ;D

11. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

What he said.....

My Generation
    Boris the Spider

soooo many active bass lines on those Who songs.

12. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Petty wrote the following in an article for Rolling Stone in response to Howie's death: "…there’s a great sadness, because Howie was never not a Heartbreaker. He just got to where he couldn’t do it anymore. …It’s like you got a tree dying in the backyard. And you’re kind of used to the idea that it’s dying. But you look out there one day and they cut it down. And you just can’t imagine that beautiful tree isn’t there anymore."

Draft saved Draft deleted