1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best baseball writers?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by txscoop, Apr 4, 2007.

1. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Bodley has scoops? I'm legitimately asking since I don't read USAT.

Used to be he'd have stuff when MLB wanted to use his forum to plant something.

2. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Yes...that's what counts as a "scoop" for Hal. The reason you read him is that he's where the official story is planted, so you get some insight on the MLB position. The best baseball guy at USA Today is Nightengale.

3. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

I love Nightengale's work. Started reading him at The Sporting News about a decade ago, and have followed wherever he's gone since.

4. Jonah Keri.
    Paul White.
    (Two completely different kinds of writing, but both good at their thing.)
    Gammons, back about a decade or two ago when he had an editor.

5. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

Lines like these are why I enjoy Renck so much:

He opened with a six-pitch first, had just 62 after six. Without the benefit of HDTV, it was hard to determine if he broke a sweat.

AND

All Lopez did was make pitches, working as if he had 5 o'clock reservations at The Chop House.

They are entertaining. They aren't overly cheesey. They are short. And the second one is not "new" to writing, but Renck uses them sparingly and smartly.

6. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I don't read much outside of Toronto and for me the best guy up here is Jeff Blair of the Globe & Mail. Richard Griffin of the Star is a solid read too. Bob Elliott of the Sun usually has some good stuff in his Sunday notebook but I find him so-so as a writer.

7. MonitorLizard

MonitorLizard Member

Last I checked, the Yankees and Red Sox are both on the East Coast. My problem with Verducci is that he seems to focus on them at the expense of the rest of baseball. I'm neither a Yankees fan nor a Red Sox fan.

8. cougargirl

cougargirl Active Member

I'll second Troy Renck and Barry Svrluga.

9. Moondoggy

Moondoggy Member

The new guy or the old guy from last year?

10. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

the old guy

11. John

John Well-Known Member

I like the new guy's stuff, too.

12. I'm biased, but I'm a big fan of Jorge Arangure. I think you're going to be reading a lot from him in the future. :)

Draft saved Draft deleted