1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best baseball writers?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by txscoop, Apr 4, 2007.

1. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

"Over the past two years, for instance, San Diego played more games decided by one or two runs (163) than any other NL team; at the same time the Padres won the most games by one run (59) and by two or fewer (87) and had the highest winning percentage in one-run games (.584)."

I don't see how these particular numbers are distracting at all. As for the assertion that he should've just said: Trevor Hoffman keeps them in games, well, that's probably true, but I think Verducci's is written a tad better.

2. KnuteRockne

KnuteRockne Member

Bill James

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

I read him but I didn't like him. He didn't write enough about New York teams in a Minnesota newspaper.

4. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

Mark Topkin at the St. Pete Times is a pretty good read. Ditto for Dejan Kovacevic in Pittsburgh.

5. Yes, he does. Sometimes.

Joe Christensen writes about the Yankees often at the Strib.

Lavelle is more in love with the White Sox though since he is a White Sox fan. He will write about them more often.

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

Yeah he probably writes about the White Sox more often since the...Twins...play...the...White...Sox...19...times.

7. MonitorLizard

MonitorLizard Member

I think Verducci's a great writer, but his East Coast bias in general turns me off to a lot of his stuff. Seems like no Red Sox guy can do any wrong in his eyes.

8. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

BTW, you should not compare SI writers to guys who cover a beat daily for a newspaper. Two different things.

SI people have the benefit of research help, a stringer network, a desk that sometimes rewrites heavily, and a liberal policy regarding quotes.

In this age of "....also contributed to this report," I'm amazed that SI's collaborative efforts aren't labeled more accurately.

9. bballscribe

bballscribe Member

I like Jose de Jesus Ortiz of the Houston Chronicle. He's been a fav of mine the past few years.

10. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Well, if you judge someone's style on one piece, I guess he's gossip oriented and prone to using anonymous quotes.

11. BYH

BYH Active Member

Yet he covered the..............Yankees for a long time at Newsday.

What an annoying tendency this is: Yankee fans think everyone hates their team. Red Sox fans think everyone hates their team. At least you guys agree on something.

12. boots

boots New Member

It's all subjective. McCoy and Bodley still scoop everyone. Jayson Stark doesn't have to take a backseat to anyone and neither does Paul Hagen. Verducci is still young enough to participate in the game as his umpire story illustrates. There are a few more but that's a good starting five right there.

Draft saved Draft deleted