1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best baseball writers?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by txscoop, Apr 4, 2007.

1. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Bruce Miles, Chicago Daily Herald

2. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Dan,

I respectfully disagree on Verducci. I find that no one does a better job of using statistics to illustrate their points.

To me, his reporting is phenomenal.

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

Stat regurgitation? Musta missed all those stats in the umpiring story.

4. In Cold Blood

In Cold Blood Member

As mentioned above, Hal McCoy kicks ass and takes names.

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Elliotte,
    Maybe I'm not enough of a seamhead, but when I read that Player A is the first to hit 20 home runs and 20 doubles on his team in the last 15 years or finished among the top five in the league in four of the last six years in a category I'm left thinking what about the other two years or who was the last on the team to hit 20 and 20? As a reader, I find a lot of numbers distracting - and I want to know why and how those numbers were attained. I think Sports Illustrated in general can do a better job explaining why those numbers make a difference, and why others don't. And the way stats are being sliced and diced these days I worry that you can make any player look good - or bad depending on the numbers you use. Verducci is a good writer, I'm not saying he's not, but for a writer covering a team for a general readership I think there are better examples to follow.

6. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

I'm not sure how it applies specifically to Verducci, but I would agree with Senor Oregon's point about stats in text. I see them too often used without a context and it becomes blather that serves the reader as poorly as a hackneyed quote does.

Just as a worthless quote shouts, "Hey, see, I talked to the guy," stats without some purpose say, "Hey, see, I'm into all that number stuff."

I think we have some writers who have grown up on numbers-based baseball, along with some others who bombard readers with them just to show they have a cutting edge approach. Believe me, there's plenty of middle ground between the algebra and a cup-spitting scout who says, "Sumbitch can flat hit."

7. I'll second Gordon Edes and also toss in Rob Bradford who has a pretty good blog for the guys looking for a template to follow:

http://www.bradfordonbaseball.com/

Hal McCoy is a God

Verducci is very good but I'm not sold on Onley because I think he has a Yankees bias and I have a tough time getting over that.

8. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

The Verducci piece on ARod last year should put to rest any notion that SI's senior baseball writer is "numbers oriented."

9. LiveStrong

LiveStrong Active Member

I'll second Rob Bradford as a very good beat guy on a very competitive beat.

10. Read Lavelle E. Neal III of the Star-Tribune.

He describes the action very well.

He also has great rapport with the players.

11. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Tracy Ringolsby. Etkin's doing more of the day-to-day work, or so it seems, but Tracy's still a good guy. And no, I'm not him. :)

12. CapeCodder

CapeCodder Member

I'll third that--Bradford is awesome.

Draft saved Draft deleted