1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best baseball trades

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BB Bobcat, Apr 29, 2008.

1. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

Brewers White Sox pre '05 season, Sox get Scott Podsednik and Luis Vizcaino, Brewers get Carlos Lee.

2. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I hated that deal when it was made. Years and years later, I see no reason to change my thinking on it. Except the fact that I and Moddy are now Nats fanbois.

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

The White Sox did win the World Series that year, and there was no way they were going to pay Lee nine figures. From a sheer talent standpoint, it doesn't look that hot...but they got the ring.

4. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

Heathcliff Slocumb for Jason Varitek and Derek Lowe. :D

5. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

Royals getting Jermaine Dye from the Braves for Michael Tucker was a pretty good one for the Royals.

Royals/A's/Rockies: A three-team trade that sent Dye to the Oakland Athletics. The Royals traded Dye for Perez, then the Rockies dealt Dye to the A's for three minor leaguers: infielder Jose Ortiz, outfielder Mario Encarnacion and left-handed pitcher Todd Belitz. One of Beane's early masterpieces.

6. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

BOTH teams are supposed to benefit.

7. Add a sidebar on the worst all-time trades:

1) Lou Brock of the Cubs to Ernie Broglio of Cardinals.
    2) The aforementioned FRobby for Milt Pappas deal.
    3) Jim Fregosi of the Angels for Nolan Ryan, Leroy Stanton, Don Rose and Francisco Estrada.

8. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Len Barker for Brook Jacoby, Brett Butler and Rick Behenna. :D

9. OJ1414

OJ1414 Member

Ryne Sandberg and Larry Bowa to the Cubs from the Phillies for Ivan DeJesus

10. zimbabwe

zimbabwe Active Member

I have total faith that eventually, Rafael Soriano (Seattle) for Horatio Ramirez (Atlanta) will belong on this list...as worst all-time (for M's), best all-time (for Braves).

11. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Wasn't this supposed to be about deals that helped both teams?

One of my favorites was April Fools' Day in 1987. The Pirates sent Tony Pena to the Cardinals for Mike Dunne, Mike LaValliere and Andy Van Slyke.

The Cardinals thought all they needed to win a World Series was an upgrade at catcher. I remember hearing jokes about the Pirates being a minor-league franchise for the Cardinals because St. Louis had stolen John Tudor from Pittsburgh in '84 for "Joggin" George Hendrick.

Pena hit .214 that year, but the Cardinals did make it to the World Series (lost in 7 to the Twins).

Dunne had one great year and one good one before injuries ruined his career. Van Slyke was a three-time All-Star and LaValliere was almost as good as Pena from that year on. Van Slyke and LaValliere were starters on the last decent teams in Pittsburgh in the early '90s.

One of the biggest rip-offs this decade came in 2003 when the Cubs got Aramis Ramirez and Kenny Lofton from the Pirates for Jose Hernandez, Bobby Hill and Matt Bruback. Not only did all three players suck, Hill was damaged goods. But hey, at least the Pirates got to avoid paying Ramirez a few million.

12. deviljets7

deviljets7 Member

A few other "good for both teams" trades that haven't been mentioned...

Scott Brosius to the Yankees for Kenny Rogers

David Justice to the Yankees for Jake Westbrook, Zach Day and Ricky Ledee

Jim Thome to the Phillies for Aaron Rowand and a minor leaguer or two (also created a full-time spot for Howard)

Joe Carter (and others) to the Indians for Rick Sutcliffe

Draft saved Draft deleted