1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best Baseball Novel

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Gold, Jul 20, 2007.

1. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Just yanking your chain.

Neither Jon Cusack nor DB Sweeney would ever throw a game. Great job of acting by all involved in that movie, which is one of my faves.

And I believe Joe Jackson is the only player to be the all-time leading hitter (for average) for two MLB teams (ChiSox, Indians), unless Carew holds the mark for the Twinkies and Angels.

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

Freddie Patek?

3. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

That was fucking haunting.

4. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

"BALL FOUR" by Jim Bouton

5. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

It was a solid read. Why do you Braves fans always rain on the Phillies' parade?

6. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

Fine, than "Heart of the Order" was another one.

7. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

I bow to your pure baseball novel intellect and retire into the night like Mike Schmidt.

8. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

The line in my mind between novels and short fiction, etc is quite blurred in my mind. I can't even try to consider it right now. If we are talking about baseball prose, then consider those two (which we aren't...although not novels are solid works) but then if not, I'll think of something tomorrow. Right now my mind is not thinking between novels and stuff.

9. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

That is why I said, "novels and short fiction, etc", the etc includes biography or non-fiction, or whatever else is in the baseball writing realm of longer prose. I think they are the best instances of baseball prose, sorry this isn't the thread for it, but I just threw it out here. I don't know many baseball novels.

10. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

Zed: Bring out the Gimp.
    Maynard: But the Gimp's sleeping.
    Zed: Well, I guess you're gonna have to go wake him up now, won't you?

That's all the Pulp Fiction for tonight.

11. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

Dark, disturbing, fantastic book. It's been many years since I've read it, and I might have to again soon.

12. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Draft saved Draft deleted