1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best Baseball Novel

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Gold, Jul 20, 2007.

1. Gold

Gold Active Member

I recently finished For the Love of the Game by Michael Shaara, and I thought it was fantastic. I'm trying to think of a better baseball novel, and I am having a hard time.

What are some of your favorites?

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Box Socials by W.P. Kinsella

It's wonderfully lyrical, and a good story.

3. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

An old, old, oldie but still a goodie:

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  4. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

And another one dear to my heart, a historical novel from Buck Weaver's perspective:

[​IMG]

5. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

Another vote for Box Socials.

6. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Excellent, excellent book.

Of course, there's always The Great American Novel.

7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Finally...somebody on this site agrees with me. I've brought this book up on numerous threads, usually in reference to my pure hatred of the way Sam Raimi's movie fucked up my favorite book.

It's all about the protagonist. Billy Chapel in the book is a great character, impossible not to like. Billy Chapel in the movie is a prick who can be a good guy when he feels like it.

8. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

"The Universal Baseball Association, Inc., J. Henry Waugh, Prop." by Robert Coover

9. "You Know Me, Al" -- Ring Lardner

10. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Is that the one with the strat-o-matic type game?

11. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Call me Gil Gamesh. Roth nailed that one.

The Natural, as written, is a wonderful book (of course, I loved the movie, even with the different ending). So is Shoeless Joe. The Love of the Game is excellent.

I also enjoyed The Iowa Baseball Confederacy, and Bang the Drum Slowly. There's tons of great baseball fiction out there.

Even Eight Men Out, which, if you believe that all of the Sox actively participated in the conspiracy (sorry Buck), is also fiction.

12. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

8MO is terrific fiction -- although I suspect I'm calling it fiction for a different reason than you.

Sorry, but there's no way Weaver actively participated in throwing the games on the field. Not a chance in the world.

Draft saved Draft deleted