1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best backup QB ever?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Batman, Sep 19, 2007.

1. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I feel really old suddenly.

The Colt Corral are turning over in their graves.

2. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

fwiw, I believe, without googling it, that Morrall was the NFL MVP in 1968.

He also started about half the games of Miami's undefeated 1972 season. That's pretty good caretaking. (of course, they threw about 10 passes a game).

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

Steve Dils farts in your general direction.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Still, Morrall was the guy who successfully took over at quarterback in some of the greatest games/accomplishments in NFL history, so I'd give him the nod.

Strock ad DeBerg had good, long, distinguished careers for guys who were primarily backups.

Young may be the greatest QB who ever held a clipboard for five or so years.

Reich had a couple monster games.

5. BigSleeper

BigSleeper Active Member

How about Bubby "I don't mop up for anybody" Brister.

Just kidding. Gotta vote for Steve Young.

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

George Blanda, Earl Morrall and Steve DeBerg (who lost his job then backed up three HOFers in Montana, Young and Elway).

7. Dan Rydell

Dan Rydell Guest

Yeah. When your backup can step in, step up and bring it like Morrall did off the bench, I say he gets to wear the Backup Crown. Funny how he never was dominant as a starter, though.

Though if you're too young to have seen George Blanda in action, what he did as the Raiders backup was incredible to watch. And then he could kick the field goal too. And before that, he was a good starter in the old American Football League.

Steve Young doesn't strike me as a backup. Everyone knew he was a starter just waiting for the opportunity.

8. part-timer

part-timer Member

Willie Beamon

9. nafselon

nafselon Well-Known Member

Steve Bono was an excellent backup to Young but not a guy you'd hand the starting reigns over to.

I remember he was a third-stringer and put up like 300+ in a MNF victory back when Bill Walsh could have inserted Pee-Wee Herman in that offense and succeeded.

10. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

Steve Young was a starter for too long to be considered. Frank Reich made his mark (and boy did he ever) as a backup.

11. Dan Rydell

Dan Rydell Guest

I liked Reich, too.

When he came into the game, you could see he was itching to get something done, and he usually did.

12. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

Matt Saracen.

Draft saved Draft deleted