1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best backup QB ever?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Batman, Sep 19, 2007.

1. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

Jeff Garcia

2. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Steve Young.

3. Seahawk

Seahawk Member

He's a starter now (which helps explain why KC is just not very good) but Damon Huard has performed well as a backup in two of his three stops: Miami and Kansas City. In New England, he attempted one pass in three seasons, though I seem to recall that he once picked up a first down on a fake punt. Before this season, he has been a backup for the better part of eight seasons.

I also agree with Frank Reich, Doug Flutie and Jeff Hostetler.

4. BadgerBeer

BadgerBeer Well-Known Member

I second Zeke Bratkowski as a very worthy choice.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

You guys got my top three right off the bat.

6. IU90

IU90 Member

Neither Brady or Roethlsberger count. You're a backup only if you came in off the bench or if the only reason you started is because No. 1 is injured. Backup status ends the moment you've been voluntarily named a starter where there was a real choice. Brady and Roeth may've gotten their 1st start because of injury but they didn't go back to the bench when Bledsoe and Maddox returned. Same goes for Warner.

7. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

For pure backup, I'd say Reich, he came in and put on some rallies for the Bills then went right back to the bench.

Morrall had two nice runs, getting both the Colts and the Dolphins into the Super Bowl after Johnny U and Griese went down, so maybe he's the answer.

8. Dan Rydell

Dan Rydell Guest

Earl Morrall gets my vote also.

9. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

But how does expansion change this argument? Morrall was a top-10 quarterback that just happened to get stuck in Indy Baltimore. Same thing does not happen now. But he was the best of that era.
    I don't think Young qualifies because he was a starter before he got to San Fran. I'd vote with Frank Reich.
    Also, some props must be given to Steve Beurlein. Always a guy that was ready to go in and could be competitive.

I have no excuse other than a momentary slip of the brain.

10. didntdoit19

didntdoit19 Member

I don't think Morrall ever played in Indy.

BTW, he was benched by Baltimore in Super Bowl III and was by no means responsible for the Dolphins going undefeated in 1972. He was a caretaker, and nothing else.

11. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Gets my vote.

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

See this is what happens when people rely on ESPN for history... They forget the Cardinals were in Chicago and the A's were in Philadelphia and the Warriors were in Philadelphia...

Draft saved Draft deleted