1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best backup QB ever?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Batman, Sep 19, 2007.

1. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Steve DeBerg

2. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I posted it on this board because several other QB-related threads were already going on here. If the powers-that-be feel the need to move it to Anything Goes, I won't argue. Not that it'd make a difference if I did.

My personal criteria for a great backup:
    1) Could probably start for several teams in the league, but wouldn't be able to carry a shitty team on his own.
    2) CAN come off the bench to carry a good team to a win.
    3) If the starter is out for an extended period, can lead the team for five or six games and do well. However, if he had to play a full a 16-game season things wouldn't turn out as well.
    4) For the purposes of this discussion, must have been a backup for several years (like Young or Hostetler) or most of his career (like Morrall or Trent Dilfer). if you want to include some of the one-year guys, like Jeff Garcia last season, that's OK. But I was mostly thinking of guys who never went on to bigger and better things for extended periods.

3. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

Billy Volek is THAT guy right now.

4. Saint Lou

Saint Lou Member

My first thought on this subject was Steve Young.

But this post made me remember that Warner was the back-up QB the year he led the Rams to the Super Bowl.

I'm not a Warner fan, but he also led them to the big game against the Patriots. That's not bad.

5. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Charlie Batch does not agree.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I'd have to vote for Steve Young...

7. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Steve Young

8. joe king

joe king Active Member

Earl Morrall is the patron saint of backup quarterbacks. If there was a backup QBs hall of fame, his statue would be in front of it.

That said, this thread has touched on many excellent choices. Strock, Reich, Flutie, Blanda -- I remember a couple of his miracles for the Raiders when he was in his 40s. Steve DeBerg was best known as the caretaker QB who gave way to Joe Montana, John Elway, Steve Young and Vinny Testaverde.

And, in the vein of Kurt Warner, here's one -- Tom Brady. Remember the no-name sixth-round draft choice who replaced the injured Drew Bledsoe in 2001?

9. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

If Brady counts, so would Roethlisberger in taking over for Tommy MaddoXFL, but I don't see either as backups. They replaced injured starters and never went back to the bench -- Brady was in his second season (he was only 1 of 3 his rookie season), Ben a rookie.

My votes would go to Earl Morrall and Steve Young.

10. doctor x

doctor x Member

Not the greatest, but Gary Cuozzo and Zeke Bratkowski are worth a mention.

11. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

One person who isn't in the running for best backup QB is Sean Salisbury

12. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

I'd submit that this should be limited to best backup, as in guy who started only when needed, not backup guys who moved into regular starting roles, because by that standard pretty much every good quarterback qualifies, since they almost all start on the bench.

As for an answer: no idea.

Draft saved Draft deleted