1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best Autographs You Ever Got

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Write-brained, Mar 18, 2007.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Who says Doggie Perez isn't a classic...

I think of two: I asked Bo Schembechler to autograph his book and received an autographed golfball at a Buick Open media day by Miller BArber. Gave it to my uncle and his smile didn't leave for 3 days... his favorite golfer...

2. You didn't get his ghost to sign it too, slap?

3. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Never got the Dream's sign. Unfortunately.

4. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Helen Keller

5. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

I have a former co-worker that got his hands on a Musial in an interesting way. Our former sports editor had the gall to ask for it at a funeral of one of Stan the Man's teammates. Musial obliged and the SE kept it at the office. But the sports editor winds up having some legal troubles and is fired. He ends up leaving quite a bit of stuff in his desk and a few months later when my co-worker is moving on he decides to take the Musial autograph with him.

6. Major Batman

Major Batman Member

I got the Mick's autograph in a local mall when I was 12. Actually ran into a sporting goods store, bought a baseball, and hustled back out for him to sign it. He asked if I just bought the ball and acted impressed with my quick thinking. It pretty much made my year.

I still have it - although it has really faded.

7. boots

boots New Member

She couldn't write from what I understand. However, Stevie Wonder can spell his name - Stevland Morris.

8. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

She could until she severly burned her hands trying to read a waffle iron.

9. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

Some guy here in town has been, the last couple of presidential election cycles, getting all of the candidates who come here to autograph baseballs.

We ran a photo of him the other day getting Obama's autograph on a ball. Moron local radio station owner just started ripping on this guy the other day on his morning talk show. My guess is that guy's autographed ball collection is worth more than the moron's radio station.

10. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I'll trade you your Hillary for my Rocket. :)

Of course, you'd have to change your name to JR.

That's very cool, FB. Wow.

11. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Here's a great way to get Sir Edmond's signature -- and get an interesting read in the process:

http://www.eastonpressbooks.com/leather/product.asp?code=0832&c=4&source=CU393

It's Easton Press, which sells high-end, to ridiculously-overpriced books. You can, however, get some great things here. Several years ago, I bought Mrs. Birdscribe the Historian a signed copy of Ambrose's "Band of Brothers." Right after I placed the order, he died of cancer.

And I didn't even know he was sick.

12. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

Wayne Gretzky.
    I was working as an usher at Dodger Stadium in the early 1980s and he played in the Hollywood Stars game. Three of my female co-workers knew I had covered him for my college radio station playing against the LA Kings and asked me to introduce them. We snuck into the bowels of Dodger Stadium and found him in the locker room. He signed autographs for us and a Dodger photographer snapped a picture of the five of us.
    When Edmonton came to town the next season, I mentioned the picture to Wayne and told him my cohorts were waiting upstairs and asked if he could please sign the photos, which he did. It's still my favorite piece of memorabilia.

Draft saved Draft deleted