1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best Athlete

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Mar 30, 2009.

?

Which sport has the best athletes?

1. Football

10 vote(s)
    19.2%
  2. Basketball

19 vote(s)
    36.5%
  3. Golf

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Boxing

3 vote(s)
    5.8%
  5. Baseball

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Other

14 vote(s)
    26.9%
  7. Hockey

6 vote(s)
    11.5%
  1. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Junkie, I get your point but the comparable to a person playing in an over 40 softball league is a golfer who shoots in the low 100's. Almost anyone can do that.

2. AMacIsaac

AMacIsaac Guest

Not in hockey they can't.

You'd think maybe a goalie could get away with it ... all that standing around a guy's gotta do ...

But no.

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

So even the elite succeed at a lower rate in baseball. Sound to me like you just made the other side's argument. Thanks.

Otherwise, your entire argument is based on which comes more easily for you, which is pretty meaningless in the grand scheme of things.

4. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Really mixing two different issues here: best athletes and what's the hardest thing to do in sport. They don't necessarily produce the same answers.

And why is professional bowler not a poll choice?

5. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Elephant polo players. End of thread. :)

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

So say that. For you, golf is harder. Baseball probably comes easier than golf for Albert Pujols, too, but I'd be willing to bet if you raised him from childhood playing golf he'd be better at it than most golfers could ever be at hitting a baseball.

And to me, if a lower percentage of success is considered elite, that is the skill that is tougher to master.

7. Double J

Double J Active Member

Great arguments for hockey, but lacrosse players deserve some love too. Especially box lacrosse.

And the greatest athlete of all time was Lionel Conacher of Toronto, Ontario. Played for championship teams in hockey, lacrosse, football and baseball, a hall of famer in the first three sports, and was also a national boxing champ and an undefeated wrestler, among other accomplishments. The guy was a total freak of nature.

8. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Yeah, but he was a Canadian so he doesn't count. :)

9. Double J

Double J Active Member

I thought being Canadian was the defining criterion. ;)

10. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Here's a pretty good summary of the Big Train's successes

http://www.histori.ca/sports/conach.html

He was a battered veteran with 600 stitches - 150 on his face alone. His nose had been broken 8 times. But he didn't rest. He became the provincial MPP and, later, federal MP for the Toronto neighbourhood in which he was born, representing the interests of his poor constituents.

Can you imagine how he would have been mythologized if he were a Yank?

We suck at that.

11. Double J

Double J Active Member

Yep. They'd have called him "Jim Thorpe."

This is what I was talking with you about - the lack of good biographies (or in some cases, any bios at all) about our most accomplished athletes. I find it hard to understand why the Canadian publishing industry and marketplace wouldn't go for books like that.

12. JC

JC Well-Known Member

I would, so go write them I'll buy them, unfortunately I might be the only one. This is where Americans are much better than Canadians. They celebrate their hero's of the past. Canadian kids should know who these guys are

Draft saved Draft deleted