1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best Athlete

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Mar 30, 2009.

?

Which sport has the best athletes?

1. Football

10 vote(s)
    19.2%
  2. Basketball

19 vote(s)
    36.5%
  3. Golf

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Boxing

3 vote(s)
    5.8%
  5. Baseball

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Other

14 vote(s)
    26.9%
  7. Hockey

6 vote(s)
    11.5%
  1. spnited

spnited Active Member

Wait a minute. Hitting a ball that is stationary with a flat-headed club is more difficult than hitting a round ball coming at you at 90 miles per hours with a round bat (a few inches in diameter)?

So if Tiger Woods (Oops, bad choice, don't want to be sucking up)...if Phil Mickelson puts 40% of his drives in the fairway, is he one of the greatest golfers of all time?

2. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I think Junkie might want to reconsider his position. :)

3. jps

jps Active Member

hitting a baseball and not even close. good grief. hitting a golf ball? that's technique, my friend. if john daly can do it, who can't? I'd say that goalie's job is up there, too, as far as 'hardest.' granted, equipment size is out of control a bit, but stopping a 90 mph slap shot? yeesh.

for the record, I'd have voted hockey, but went other before hockey was an option. though decathlete might be No. 2.

4. spnited

spnited Active Member

Do you actually think you'd have any chance of putting a bat on a major league pitcher's fastball, slider or split?

5. jps

jps Active Member

no it isn't.

hitting the golf ball well is about repetition and technique above anything else.

6. spnited

spnited Active Member

I'm not asking you to hit a driver 350 yards. I'm saying you can't even hit a freaking foul ball off a major-league pitcher.

I have played exactly two full rouonds of golf in my life. I hit the damn ball in the middle of the fairway 5 times in 36 holes. I made 3 pars in 36 holes (blind squirrel theory)
    I guaran-fucking-tee you I would not put three balls in play in 100 pitches against Johan Santana.
    And neither would you

7. jps

jps Active Member

junkie, you are all alone in your camp and there's a reason for that.

8. jps

jps Active Member

you're nuts. that's the reason - in case you weren't aware.

9. I Digress

I Digress Guest

Let me preface this by saying I am not a hockey fan.. but those guys do everything other athletes do in terms of hand-eye, contact.. and the freaking do it on thin blades of steel. And THEY NEVER STOP MOVING....They get my vote.

10. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Here's the deal, Junkie.

I could take lessons, play golf four to five times a week and I bet I could be shooting in the 70's by the end of the summer (this from someone who started playing that stupid sport when he was ten and used to shoot inthe low 80's as a teenager)

I could face a major league pitcher every day for the next 30 years and never hit a fastball, curve or a slider. And I never played anything beyond hs ball but I was a better than average player--for a Canadian. :)

11. MN Matt

MN Matt Member

Soccer, and its not even close.

12. Mr. Sluggo

Mr. Sluggo Active Member

Bullshit. Most at bats end with the player hitting the ball. By "successful" you mean lucky you didn't hit it where a defender could make a play.

Draft saved Draft deleted