1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best Athlete

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Mar 30, 2009.

?

Which sport has the best athletes?

1. Football

10 vote(s)
    19.2%
  2. Basketball

19 vote(s)
    36.5%
  3. Golf

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Boxing

3 vote(s)
    5.8%
  5. Baseball

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Other

14 vote(s)
    26.9%
  7. Hockey

6 vote(s)
    11.5%
  1. Spurred by comments on the Tiger Wood thread...
    I would say either boxing or football.

I'm not listing gymnastics.. It is competition.
    I'm not listing tennis or NASCAR (not saying they aren't athletes, just not on the same level as others.
    No skiing, triathlon or cycling either .. not mainstream enough.

2. pallister

pallister Guest

Secretariat thinks this thread blows.

And the answer is boxing, hands down.

3. JC

JC Well-Known Member

I go with basketball players, to be that big and that co-ordinated is crazy. Look at Lebron, I'm pretty sure he could crossover and play football, even though he didn't go to college for 4 years.(cross thread)

4. jps

jps Active Member

maybe an 'other' category?

5. pallister

pallister Guest

I played basketball over the weekend for two hours; it was the first time I played in 14 years. While I'm still pretty sore, I didn't even start to get winded until about 90 minutes in. I do an occasional boxing workout at the gym — shadow boxing, heavy bag, etc. without any contact and I'm completely worn out within 40 minutes. Completely. What boxers do to prepare themselves for a fight would kill LeBron James.

6. Soccer. And I'm actually not kidding.

7. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Not sure why certain athletes don't count simply because their sports aren't mainstream, but anyway....

I'd probably say boxing.

8. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

why is golf on here and not hockey?

9. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

Solid.

Football. Hands down.

10. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Excellent Let's see Tiger Woods make a putt with 15,000 people screaming at him and a defenseman charging at him, ready to take his head off.

Hockey tests more types of athletic ability than golf does. Golf takes skill, coordination, strength, intelligence and the ability to handle pressure. Hockey requires all of those things, as well as speed and agility, not to mention the hole thing about trying to knock the crap out of each other.

11. MartinEnigmatica

MartinEnigmatica Active Member

Not mainstream enough, apparently, because it's sorta like a tree falling in the woods. If not enough people see the sport, the athletes don't really exist.

12. jps

jps Active Member

hockey or soccer.

Draft saved Draft deleted