1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best athlete you played with or against

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Steak Snabler, Jan 29, 2008.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Slight threadjack, but I think it applies.

A few weeks back in an email to the members of my fantasy baseball league, I made a sarcastic comment about F.P. Santangelo admitting the use of PED's in the wake of the Mitchell Report. I got a response from one of the league members. Turns out he played high school baseball with Santangelo and told us in great detail what a great guy and tremendous high school player he was.

He was mostly doing it in the spirit of ball-busting, but still....

2. Highway 101

Highway 101 Active Member

Played hoops against some Xavier Nady guy who went to my rival high school twice a year. He's much better at baseball.
    Played with Kassim Osgood (SD Chargers) as my PF in HS. Never thought he'd be a fringe NFL player.
    Ran with Calvin and Alvin Harrison - Olympic gold medal sprinters who got caught up in BALCO - one year in HS. They'd finish the 400 when I still had another 100 to go.
    Played 18 holes with Kip Henley - Big Break II winner. Golf took a back seat to having fun that afternoon.

3. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Yeah. So is David Wright.

4. I believe that's a certain Diamondback.

5. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

An outfielder? Or is he just trying to be one because he's a freak of nature like Steve Nebraska?

6. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I played HS football against Dewayne White (Lions DL). He was a sophomore fullback when I was a senior. He didn't play on a very good team, and we had a good team that year, so we beat the shit out of them. He had a couple hundred yards. We were so far ahead of them, I got to run the ball (second string, bitches!) and scored a few touchdowns ... one of them right over him. You could see the athleticism. He was a man among boys.

Played a pickup game against Gerald Wallace a couple years later. He dunked on me on one play and I fouled him VERY hard the next time he tried (on a fast break). I REALLY didn't like being dunked on.

7. Sleeper

Sleeper Member

Went head-to-head, literally, with Eric Barton of the Jets when he was in high school. Guess who won that matchup?

8. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Wrestled against a couple of Ivy League lacrosse players back in hs.

Played a pick up game of hoops with a non-descript forward on the women's team in college. She was still better than our out of shape, sorry asses. Of course the other two guys didn't know who she was, so I took her on my team (2 on 2) and let her score all the point.

Played wiffle ball with Melvin Fowler one afternoon, who plays center or guard for the Bills now.

Musically, a friend of mine played with Vince Neal out in AC one time. That was pretty fun he said.

9. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

A friend of mine who plays lots of pick-up ice hockey because he's a goalie, once played a game in Orange County and NHL forward Jeff Friesen, then with the Ducks, played against him. My friend said he stopped one or two shots of Friesen's but one shot left a bigtime bruise.

10. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Being dunked on is truly the moment of Zen when you're a shitsucking high school basketball player like I was.

When he started raising the roof afterward with his left hand, I could no longer pretend to be pissed.

11. danhawks

danhawks Member

I used to rake against Matt Guerrier (who just signed an almost $1 million deal with the Twins) during BP when I was 15 and he was 12. I was in the same class as his brother and he and my brother were the same age. We used to go out and hit BP, grounders and some sort of sandlot game for hours back in the early 1990s. Does anyone do that anymore? Can't hurt to throw BP all summer...he's in the bigs and had a 2-point-something ERA last year.

12. zimbabwe

zimbabwe Active Member

Travis Lee tore us up in football, setting the school passing record (with me at free safety)...

Richie Sexson dunked on the opening tip (me in the stands), hit a few long doubles (no fence, me in center field) and caught some fade routes (and also left the game after taking a hit on a crossing route from yours truly; I was knocked unconcsious).

David Ritchie never crack-back blocked me (Thank God) but could have if I was on the field more.

Jason Schmidt struck me out four times.

Draft saved Draft deleted