1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best athlete you played with or against

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Steak Snabler, Jan 29, 2008.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Steve Phillips... was a helluva T-ball shortstop.

2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Played a casual round of golf in college with George Taliaferro, the first African-American drafted in the NFL. He was a single walking 18 holes, as was I. He only introduced himself as "George" on the first tee but in talking to him during the round I realized this wasn't just some random 60-something senior citizen. Great guy and he kicked my tail on the course.

3. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Active Member

I went to the same basketball camp as A.J. Hawk for a couple of years. I'm guessing one of my camp teams played against one of his. You just knew growing up that he was going to be an effin' stud. He was the top basketball player at the camp. I saw him play a football game in seventh or eighth grade and he dominated. You knew he'd be something special. I think he played QB and a d-lineman or linebacker. It was no surprise when I saw him playing for Ohio St. or now in the NFL.

In high school I ran against Matt Withrow, who is now an all-American XC runner at Wisconsin. I wasn't fast, but when I could see him heading toward the finishing stretch and I was just passing the 2-mile mark, I knew he'd get a scholarship to almost anywhere he wanted to go.

4. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

Dave Philistin...beast of a runningback and linebacker and a starter for Maryland now. Best I've ever played against by far.

His Manchester Central team absolutely dominated the state of New Hampshire, largely because of him. They won the Division I championship all four years he was there. Then he graduates and we (Pinkerton Academy) win one in my senior season of '05 and have won the last two as well.

5. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

I played in one of those media charity basketball games against the Pittsburgh Steelers about 13 years ago. Can't really remember any of the Steelers, only one was a name guy back then, maybe Levon Kirkland, to give you an idea of the era. Anyway I tied for leading scorer on the media team with seven points and I was not any good. We lost by 50.

The one play that I remember was having Fred McAfee boxed out pretty well as the Steelers were shooting. I jumped up for the ball, looked up, and saw a hand about a foot over my head just reaching up to grab the ball. I kinda turned my head around and there was Fred McAfee's belly button right in my face. He's a year older than me, maybe an inch or two shorter, but he probably could have jumped over me like a hurdle if he wanted.

6. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Got dunked on by Jerod Ward. It was awesomely pathetic.

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I have an autographed photo of Mike Palmateer in my home office. The Leafs era that made me a fan...

8. Played high school basketball against the DuPont duo of Jason Williams and Randy Moss.
    They were a whole 'nother level.
    Williams was a master point guard - who had no equal at our level.
    Moss was truly a freak.

9. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I also have a couple people that are semi-famous that play basketball on my rec team.

A pair of brothers who play(ed) FB for Michigan. One in the late 90s, and the current starter.

They are obviously really good, so the fact that they chose college football over our church bball team sort of sucks.

10. I have a half-inch-long scar under my eye from an elbow I took from Tony Gonzalez during a high school basketball game. He came over an apologized during a timeout while the trainer was patching me up.

11. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

I played against Darelle Revis in basketball and ran against him in track but never in football. My sister ran the 100m against Lauryn Williams in high school.

12. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

My brother played jr. football against Chester Taylor when they were like 12.

They held him to three TDS though so that was good. Still lost 20-19 because they missed a 2pt conversion, (kicking an EP in that league) as time expired

Draft saved Draft deleted