1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best athlete you played with or against

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Steak Snabler, Jan 29, 2008.

1. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Either in high school or college:

I played high school football against Eric Moulds. He was a year behind me and in his first year playing football. But you could tell he was an amazing athlete. Touched the ball once and scored a 70-yard touchdown.

I didn't play basketball in high school, but I always thought that was Moulds' best sport. Had he played at Mississippi State, they might have won the national title in 1996.

How about you guys?

2. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

Who are you channeling with starting all of these threads?

3. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I played junior high basketball against Katie Smith, future Ohio State and WNBA star. Her high school played ours as well, but I gave up basketball after the eighth grade because I am short.

4. I played high school hoops against Darius Miles. He couldn't shoot then and still can't, but what a ridiculous athlete.

5. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Just bored. Don't have to work today until an 8 p.m. basketball game.

6. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

Will Peterson, former Giants cornerback.

7. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Played Scrabble against Ken Dryden once. Does that count?

8. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Played in a charity golf tournament where you switched professionals in your group every six holes. I played six holes each with Fred Funk, Len Mattiace (when he was winning) and Steve Melnyk, one of the few people who won the U.S. and British Amateurs in the same year.

It's then you realize the talent gap between a Tour player, however marginal, and a 15-handicap. To quote Samuel L. Jackson: "It ain't the same fuckin' ballpark. It's not even the same fuckin sport."

9. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

You did PLAY him ...

10. He kicked your Davey Keon ass around the block a couple of times, didn't he?

11. cougargirl

cougargirl Active Member

Cristi Samaras, an All-American women's lacrosse player at Princeton and a U.S. National team member. She was a three-sport athlete at Annapolis High (our rival school) and I had never seen ANY female athlete with that kind of fire and athleticism. She played lacrosse like a guy.

12. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Played volleyball with Eric Montross once. Needless to say, when I was behind him in the back row, I could have smoked a whole carton of cigarettes.

Draft saved Draft deleted