1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best athlete you ever played against?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by WaylonJennings, Mar 14, 2010.

1. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

I never played against Nick Punto. But I hid in a closet until his team's bus left our high school.

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Paging IJAG in 3... 2...

WTF were you doing the closet? So many easy jokes to be typed, but I will not do that route.

3. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Wound up in a pickup game one time with Greg Grant during his senior year of college (I was only a sophomore at the time)
    Grant had a 6-year NBA career. But in college (Division III) he scored 2,611 points in three seasons, including a best in the nation 1,044 (32.6 ppg) his senior year.

4. bjot

bjot New Member

I played a pick up game of hoops the other day against the back up point gaurd for the University of Maine at Orono. Kid could flat out shoot.

5. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Steve Nash, and numerous NHLers.

Played against Nash in 3 different sports, Basketball, Soccer and Rugby, he was the best player in all of them

6. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Scott Vermillion. Would have been a regular on the US soccer team had he stayed away from injuries.

Championship game of the Governor's Cup in 1995, we're tied 3-3 in overtime. Vermillion takes a free kick from 25 yards out. I'm the outside man of the wall, lined up with the goalpost. Sonofabitch bends the ball at least a yard around me and into the goal. Unreal.

7. Den1983

Den1983 Active Member

In college, I played pickup ball with Antonio Falu, a Houston high school hoops star who spent time at Valparaiso and somewhere else before flaming out. Great, great talent. Had great work ethic, good size, could shoot and score from anywhere and a great passer. Not sure what exactly went wrong for him, but, man, could that man ball.

8. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I played a round with a guy who knocked it around the mini-tours for years, never could get past first stage of Q School. He made it look so damn easy.

9. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

I've played poker against a lot of big name pros.. Does that count?

Hey, it's on ESPN :)

10. Faithless

Faithless Member

I played against Jennifer Gillom (Ole Miss All-American basketball player, Olympic gold medalist) in a couple of Lady Rebel preseason scrimmage games against us male media types during Van Chancellor's tenure as coach.

11. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

In 1992 or so I played pickup against and with ASU's All-American point guard who was about 5-3 and a decent pickup player.

In 2003 I played with/against a 5-10 shooting guard from Indiana who was a sixth-man type as a senior.

To say the quality of play improved over 10 years is a wee bit of an understatement.

12. Sneed

Sneed Guest

Basketball: played pickup ball last summer against Anthony "Ant" Atkinson, who's with the Harlem Globetrotters now. He didn't try to dominate but when he wanted to do something--score, get someone else a bucket, whatever--he did it. If he wasn't so small (as a skinny 5-9) he would have been a lock for the NBA.

Baseball: In the summer of 2004 I played against Alex White, last year's ace at Carolina and the Cleveland Indians' first-round pick in the 2009 draft. I caught him in 2006. One of my most fun games ever was catching him for 10 innings in Legion ball before his freshman year. Struck out 18 guys, 10 in a row through one stretch, hit 95 mph in the 10th. Dude is filthy. He'll be in the majors this year or next year.

Draft saved Draft deleted