1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best athlete you ever played against?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by WaylonJennings, Mar 14, 2010.

1. So I played in a charity basketball, Grad Students vs. The Faculty game the other night. The faculty shows up with a surprise ringer: Michigan Fab Five member Jimmy King.

Yeah, we lost. He was actually cool about it, didn't hang 60 on us or anything. Just played well enough when he had to in order to make sure his team didn't lose. But when he wanted to score or wanted to clamp down on defense, we were unable to do anything about it. And we had a couple of Division I athletes on our side, a woman who played at Penn and a guy who played football at Notre Dame. No comparison.

It was sure fun to be on the same court of someone who played in the NBA, even for just a cup of coffee. It gave me some insight into how much better guys like that actually are than even the best among us weekend warriors.

2. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

How random is it that before I read your story, I was thinking that my story would involve Jimmy King?

I played against him at Lifetime Fitness about a year ago. He didn't even do much, just sort of jogged around the entire time.

3. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/52229/

4. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Played high school ball against Dewayne White, who went on to be a star d-lineman at Louisville and wound up playing for Tampa and now Detroit. I was a senior when he was a sophomore at two very small, rural schools.

Great story. He was raised by his grandmother and worked nearly 40 hours a week after school and football practice to support the family. Blew out his knee his senior year, causing some bigger schools to pass him up.

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

To be fair, that thread hasn't had a post on it for over two years.

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Not like we've had a call to update it. Although, I did get suckered into a halftime shootout with another member of sj.nation at halftime of one of our state's championship games. It's nice to know that while he sucked as bad as i did, we both would have preferred a closest-to-the-pin contest instead of airballing 3-pointers.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Jason Kidd. Kid could play. :D

Needless to say, my team lost. ;D

8. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

spud webb in high school. a foot shorter than me and yes, he dunked.

9. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I played a game of flag football against former NFL players. Needless to say, our team didn't even score a point. But I did catch a pass. :D

And there's proof of my playing on Facebook for those of you who are in the know. ;D

10. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

In college, played a pickup game with Adrian Branch, who had come to our gym. Got caught on defense against him on a 2-on-1 break. He went up for a layup and for some reason - I guess natural reaction - I went up for a "block" and as I'm in the air I said, "Yeah, right." I think I hit the bottom of his elbow. Branch did give me a smile and a high-five after that and made some complimentary mark I have since forgotten.

Once played softball against Byron Larkin (Barry's brother, played college hoops) and some ex-Bengals player whom I forget. Larkin I believe hit one of my pitches like 300 feet, if not longer.

11. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I played a round of golf last year with a woman on the Duramed FUTURES Tour, and if anyone has a chance to play a round of golf with a pro, do it.

She was probably 115 pounds dripping wet and just destroyed all of us distance-wise. I was expecting her to be 1000 times more accurate, but her power just blew me away.

12. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Played college baseball against Warren Newson and Sean Hillegas. Played high school football against David McCluskey (played TB at Georgia) and Keith Henderson (also played TB at Georgia and won a Super Bowl with the 49ers).

Draft saved Draft deleted