1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best arms (non pitchers/cathers) in baseball, 1970 to present

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 93Devil, Aug 9, 2010.

1. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

Funny you mention that. I've been on a Ken Griffey Jr. Baseball kick for the past three weeks. Jay Buhner's arm on that game is ridiculous. No matter where you hit it, in what park you hit it, you can't take an extra base on him.

2. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

Post shoulder operation Kenny Lofton was a sad sight. He would wind up his entire body and throw a rainbow, lollipop throw that would one-hop to the plate five seconds after the runner crossed the plate and the crowd loved him so much, they'd cheer like he had made it close.

I'm convinced Kenny is a HOF'er if he doesn't go head-first into the bag. He was scared to steal bases after that point and he never was quite the same player ever again.

3. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

He should have never flopped in the NCAAs, but other than that, I have no problem with him.

4. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

Candy Maldonado had a cannon, as well.

5. Now that you mention him, Sixto had a pretty powerful arm in right. He later played in San Diego, if memory serves.

That reminds me of another Padres outfielder who had a pretty strong arm, and that's Carmelo Martinez.

6. Hotlanta

Hotlanta New Member

Jeff Francouer

7. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Vladimir Guerrero
    Benito Santiago
    Tony Pena

8. Knighthawk

Knighthawk Member

Brandon Inge has a gun at third base.

9. CarltonBanks

CarltonBanks New Member

Ahhhh... I forgot about Candito. Speaking of scrub Indians of the past.

10. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Almost forgot Glenn Wilson, who even had the cool nickname to go with the cannon arm -- "Glennbo".
    One of the few enjoyable things about watching the Phillies in the mid- to late-80s was seeing him come up throwing on a hard-hit grounder into right field, and gunning down a slow/loafing batter who thought he had himself an easy single.

11. CarltonBanks

CarltonBanks New Member

As for catchers I think Ivan (don't you dare call him Pudge, there was only one Pudge and he toiled in Boston and Chicago) Rodriguez has one of the better hoses. Tony Pena for the Buccos, gunning people from his knees, was fun to watch as well.

12. Corky Ramirez up on 94th St.

Corky Ramirez up on 94th St. Well-Known Member

Dewey, Dewey, Dewey.

Dwight Evans was the best I ever saw. With that long stride, he could fire it in on a laser.

He's been mentioned plenty but Dave Parker was awesome. That throw in the '79 All-Star Game was the stuff of legend (and besides throwing out Downing at the plate in the bottom of the eighth in a 6-6 game, he also threw out Jim Rice at third earlier a few innings previous). Gary Roenike wasn't half-bad, either, from what I remember.

Draft saved Draft deleted