1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best arms (non pitchers/cathers) in baseball, 1970 to present

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 93Devil, Aug 9, 2010.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I was a little too young to appreciate them, but Andre Dawson and Warren Cromartie had third base coaches quaking in their boots. Along with Tim Raines, that might be one of the most underrated outfields ever. How those early 80s Expos teams only made the playoffs once is beyond me.

2. CarltonBanks

CarltonBanks New Member

They were like the Milwaukee Bucks of the late 70's and early 80's...all the talent in the world, but could never get over the hump. When you think about the talent the Expos had it is mind-boggling. That team could draft its ass off.

3. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

That's what I've heard.

The just-released Jose Guillen isn't especially mobile, but he's got some sizzle in his right arm.

4. spnited

spnited Active Member

Clemente was incredible.

Another pre-70 gun was Rocky Colavito but his accuracy was sometimes a problem.
    Once saw him catch a fly ball against the bullpen fence in right field at the old Yankee Stadium (right at the 344 foot sign). Guy tags from third, Rocky air mails one into the seats to the third base side of home plate. Amazingly, nobody got hurt.

5. CarltonBanks

CarltonBanks New Member

Andruw Jones, in his prime, also had a gun.

6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Reggie Smith.

In Bill (Spaceman) Lee's book, he told a story of Smith and Yaz discussing their arms during a rain delay.

They decided to have a throwing contest. Yaz ran out of the dugout to the first base line and threw the ball to the base of the Monster.

Smith walked out of the dugout, to the line, reared back, and heaved it over the wall.

7. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

A lot of good names. Two that haven't been mentioned ... Raul Mondesi and Ken Caminiti.

Before his roid-fueled power-hitting days, Caminiti was most regarded for his rocket arm at third for the Astros.

Bichette is in the Brewers' all-arm team, along with Sixto Lezcano. Though he only played there for two years, Charlie Moore had a cannon in right, memorably throwing out Reggie Jackson at third base in Game 5 of the ALCS, a play that really turned that game around in the Brewers' favor.

8. CarltonBanks

CarltonBanks New Member

Speaking of Reggie, underrated arm in right. Catching the ball, well, that's another story.

9. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

Frank Howard (1958-1973). When he played right field, he used to warm up with the left fielder.

10. CarltonBanks

CarltonBanks New Member

Does anyone else remember the cannon Cory Snyder had for the Indians in the late 80's?

11. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Not really, but you did remind me of Jay Buhner.

12. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Oh, yes. The guy could really throw it.

Also, although his bat threatens to get him bounced from the bigs, one player not mentioned that is still playing is Bill Hall. Came up as an infielder with the Brewers in 2002 and had an absolute cannon at shortstop or third base. Moved to the outfield in 2007 with the Brewers and uncorked some absolute seeds to gun runners down. I saw him throw out someone at third from pretty deep in right-center. Throw was on the bag on the fly. Might be the best single throw I've ever seen.

Draft saved Draft deleted